Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
A Cranberry Mead I threw together a few months ago.

CranMead_zpsf3284192.jpg

Thought I'd try this out:

10662382485_7c9c7907cc_b.jpg

Mead in the pumpkin fermenting. :D

10662248384_d14e9573b4_c.jpg

It's a very pleasant pumpkin cyser in there. 12lbs of local wildflower honey and 2lbs of brown sugar. After the pumpkins start to turn, I'm going to transfer it all to secondary and throw in some cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans. I've made this before with pumpkin puree, and it's AMAZING. I'm expecting a more subdued pumpkin flavor doing this method (they are, afterall, not pie pumpkins :D ) I'm excited to see how it turns out.

TeufelHundenM198 said:
Thought I'd try this out: Mead in the pumpkin fermenting. :D It's a very pleasant pumpkin cyser in there. 12lbs of local wildflower honey and 2lbs of brown sugar. After the pumpkins start to turn, I'm going to transfer it all to secondary and throw in some cinnamon sticks and vanilla beans. I've made this before with pumpkin puree, and it's AMAZING. I'm expecting a more subdued pumpkin flavor doing this method (they are, afterall, not pie pumpkins :D ) I'm excited to see how it turns out.
Do let me(us) know how it turn out

Inspired by those bottles of liqueur with whole pears, and the ones with gold flakes, I took some of the fermenting house mead and added a real honey comb from one of the hives out back. The mason jar has a loose lid, so CO2 can escape. It is really cloudy, and I am not sure if the comb will remain intact or eventually dissolve, but an interesting experiment.

realmead.jpg

Here is my three meads sll half way through,, left to right is viper, japaneese raspberry then a vanilla mead,,,

ForumRunner_20131116_191959.jpg

I just bottled my strawberry mead.

I'm not a fan of the screw-off caps, but I can get 12 375ml bottles for $6 locally, so I'll use what I can get cheap.

So now I'm worried...

I rarely backsweeten things, but I did with my strawberry mead. It brought out the strawberry flavor really well. I added my sugar, made sure it was all dissolved, and let it sit for two days in case fermentation started again. The airlock didn't move one bit.

Well, I opened a bottle of this mead today and there was a slight hiss coming from the cap. I can't tell if it is air coming out, or air rushing in seeing as I bottled it at room temp and store/serve it chilled. Its not a lot of air moving around, but it makes me curious.

Should I panic? Should I pray to the gods that my mead isn't re-fermenting? Where is my goat altar? OH GOD DON'T LET THE BOTTLES EXPLODE!

ThorGodOfThunder said:
So now I'm worried... I rarely backsweeten things, but I did with my strawberry mead. It brought out the strawberry flavor really well. I added my sugar, made sure it was all dissolved, and let it sit for two days in case fermentation started again. The airlock didn't move one bit. Well, I opened a bottle of this mead today and there was a slight hiss coming from the cap. I can't tell if it is air coming out, or air rushing in seeing as I bottled it at room temp and store/serve it chilled. Its not a lot of air moving around, but it makes me curious. Should I panic? Should I pray to the gods that my mead isn't re-fermenting? Where is my goat altar? OH GOD DON'T LET THE BOTTLES EXPLODE!

Do you use sorbate and kmeta? If not start praying the abv is to high for the yeast to do their job...

I did several months ago. It might be ok, I opened another bottle that has been at a steady temp for a few days and it didn't hiss at all. It might just be too cold where I have them stored. I'm going to take a bottle out and let it warm up to room temp and see if anything changes.

My first mead, essentially a sparkling cyster I made as an experiment.

Great carbonation, I have a dry Cyser in primary that I was thinking of carbonating. If you don't mind me asking, what method did you use, bottle conditioning? If so, what did you use to prime? And how much of it?

kingboomer said:
Looks good man, how's it taste?

It tastes really good, even though it is very young. Only have a small batch of it so it probably wont age much haha. Good hint of apple though

Yohef said:
Great carbonation, I have a dry Cyser in primary that I was thinking of carbonating. If you don't mind me asking, what method did you use, bottle conditioning? If so, what did you use to prime? And how much of it?

I just put a little bit of cane sugar at the bottle f the bottle and let it sit. Didn't have anything fancy when i started so its been a lot of using random stuff i had around, primary was in an empty kraken handle.

I did a strawberry melomel.
StrawberryMeadGlass.JPG

Not enough berry flavour. I wlll hide it in the back of a room for a long time to see if anything happens

ForumRunner_20131215_094558.png

Heres an update the mead that we made in August. Both are pretty clear but I found the one that we used local honey has a medicinal almost minty taste which is odd but I might have used the wrong yeast.

The kit I purchased from northern brewer is better but I'm going to let it sit for a few months

Latest posts

Back