First BIAB, couple of questions before I start

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

archer75

Reaction score
So i'm about to brew my first all grain as well as BIAB and have a couple of questions. Normally I would research more and not bother you guys but i'm working 12 hour days and don't have any time between now and brew day. Hopefully you can help me out.

This is what i'll be making: https://www.homebrewtalk.com/f76/samhain-pumpkin-ale-140674/

My question is with the BIAB method how do you determine how much water to start with to equal 5.5gallons when it's all said and done?
Because BIAB is less efficient they say you should increase your grain bill to compensate. How do I determine how much and what to increase? What you would change about that recipe for BIAB?

Thanks in advance for your feedback guys, it's much appreciated!

Here's a BIAB water volume calculator that was created by another HBT member that may help you.

As far as that recipe you listed, I've brewed it twice using BIAB and I brewed each batch with 7.5 gals of water to start out with and my ending volume was 5.5 gals. Don't use the rice hulls in this or any other BIAB recipe because they aren't necessary for BIAB and will only make extracting wort from the grain much harder for you.

As far as the efficiency issue, I suggest using 1-pound more of the base malt to begin with until you get a feel for BIAB and get your process dialed in and your efficiency issues worked out. I no longer need to use any extra grain with my BIAB batches because I get at least 75-percent by milling the grain twice (or on an extra fine setting), stirring well, and performing a mashout.

Good luck with your first BIAB!

As a first AG & BIAB, I'd go simple and skip the Pumpkin for now. Easier IMO to dial in your process with a simple grain bill.

Well today is brew day. I'm going ahead with the pumpkin ale and I have all my equipment/ingredients ready to go. If anyone has any last minute tips now would be the time.
Thanks!

I have two thermometers and they both disagree on the temp of the mash. So i'm shooting for the in between value. I hope it's good.

As long as they're close I'm sure you're good. I use one thermometer and 'assume' it is correct - at least the AG beer has been fine.

B

Back