help with BCS460 SSR wiring

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bsquared

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
So I posted this on the BCS460 forum as well, but I know there are quite a few BCS users here, and a ton of EE and general smart people here that might be able to help. As well as a lot more traffic on this site.

So for the past week I have been building a case and setting up my BCS460, I have successfully updated the firmware to th 2.0 version, and have been able to control one SSR (Crydom D2425) through the out0 using the manual mode, on and off, and with the thermocoupler.

My problem is now I am trying to set up two more ssr's controlled through out1 and out2 I can't get the the bcs to control the ssrs. One thing I think is strange is that when I wire them up I get a consent 105v output when the BCS has them on or off, or even when the BCS is not on. Where as the one that is functioning, will only read 30v if it is not on.
I have swapped out three different SSR's on the out1 and 2 and have the same problem. But I have not tested the out3,or 4 yet. One thing I have done is connected all the three grounds to the same ground in the BCS, but this dose not seem to affect the out0

If any one can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bryan

So I posted this on the BCS460 forum as well, but I know there are quite a few BCS users here, and a ton of EE and general smart people here that might be able to help. As well as a lot more traffic on this site.

So for the past week I have been building a case and setting up my BCS460, I have successfully updated the firmware to th 2.0 version, and have been able to control one SSR (Crydom D2425) through the out0 using the manual mode, on and off, and with the thermocoupler.

My problem is now I am trying to set up two more ssr's controlled through out1 and out2 I can't get the the bcs to control the ssrs. One thing I think is strange is that when I wire them up I get a consent 105v output when the BCS has them on or off, or even when the BCS is not on. Where as the one that is functioning, will only read 30v if it is not on.
I have swapped out three different SSR's on the out1 and 2 and have the same problem. But I have not tested the out3,or 4 yet. One thing I have done is connected all the three grounds to the same ground in the BCS, but this dose not seem to affect the out0

If any one can point me in the right direction, it would be greatly appreciated.
Thanks in advance
Bryan

Pinout.jpg

If you connected out0 to SSR1 (+) and SSR1 (-) to GND and out1 to SSR2 (+) and SSR2 (-) to GND it should work. All the GND's are common. You do not need the thermocouple to simply toggle the SSR's on and off in manual mode. It should work barring a bad connection, solder joint or defective hardware.

Did you test them prior to the update to 2.0 ??
Did you do a reset?
Did you switch the good SSR and whatever it is controlling with another output?
Are you just switching the SSR's without any equipment on the output side? I think this might be an issue - not sure.

I am not an electrician and some of this is beyond my knowledge but why would you have 105V or 30V coming off the SSR in the off state?

I've yet to actually run mine since the 2.0 upgrade, I guess I better get out and test the equipment soon.

ECC on the BCS web site helped me out, I guess the Crydom D2425 SSR need a minimum of load 40mA to function. The battery charger I was using was 30mA, so I could not get them to load.

I hooked up my dremal and got it to work great.

Now I'm stoked! I get to hook up my HLT and pump and I can try to brew with this thing!

Back