areation kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

newbrewr4fun

Reaction score
I was thinking about buying an areation kit from AHS. Does it make sense to areate when you don't have a wort chiller? That would mean the wort would be sitting before pitching yeast for like 45 minutes. I plan on eventually getting a chiller but my first batch has not quite made it to its final gravity and I thought areation might be the problem.

i had one and used it for a while.. it was the aquarium pump one ... ill sell it if ya want it.. pm me..

Are you talking about the aquarium pump, or the O2 bottle version?

I don't have a wort chiller, and I use the O2 bottle all the time...It's only a minute of oxygen...

the aquarium pump puts 8ppm of O2 in the wort after I think it said 5 min. proper O2 levels according to Wyeast is 8-12ppm. I just read this off the Wyeast site today. O2 injection puts up to 0-26ppm. in 60 seconds 12ppm. here is the link http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm
there are slightly different requirements between starter and 5 gal batches. hope this helps

the aquarium pump puts 8ppm of O2 in the wort after I think it said 5 min. proper O2 levels according to Wyeast is 8-12ppm. I just read this off the Wyeast site today. O2 injection puts up to 0-26ppm. in 60 seconds 12ppm. here is the link http://www.wyeastlab.com/hb_oxygenation.cfm
there are slightly different requirements between starter and 5 gal batches. hope this helps

Isn't that just filtered air not O2?

Are you talking about the aquarium pump, or the O2 bottle version?

I don't have a wort chiller, and I use the O2 bottle all the time...It's only a minute of oxygen...

The kit I was looking at was the aquarium pump. I suppose I might try the o2 tank instead, it may be better.

i had one and used it for a while.. it was the aquarium pump one ... ill sell it if ya want it.. pm me..

I would want it, I am just not sure if it makes sense to use without a wort chiller. AHS website says it is 15 minutes of oxygen but I will go check out the link to the wyeast website.

I am wondering why you are linking an immersion chiller with O2? If you worried about the 45 minutes its not to long. After the wort cools you pump in the O2 and pitch the yeast. It takes me easily 45 minutes to cool it and put it in the carboy and take it to the basement for fermentation.

I would recommend the O2 cannisters versus the pump. They really last a long time if used properly.

I was thinking about buying an areation kit from AHS. Does it make sense to areate when you don't have a wort chiller? That would mean the wort would be sitting before pitching yeast for like 45 minutes. I plan on eventually getting a chiller but my first batch has not quite made it to its final gravity and I thought areation might be the problem.

I am using a $15 aquarium pump from the pet store with good results, but am considering upgrading to their tank O2 kit since I'm going to do a few big beers this month.

- Eric

the only problem I have found with O2 is the fact you have to buy the whole welding kit just to get the O2 reg. the O2 cylinders are left hand thread.

the aquarium pump is just air thats why it take 5 times longer to oxygenate(if I remember my science correctly air is only about 14 percent O2) and not even filtered.

the only problem I have found with O2 is the fact you have to buy the whole welding kit just to get the O2 reg. the O2 cylinders are left hand thread.

Huh? Where? I can walk into any hardware store and by just a red can of O2 for $8.00....No welding kit purchase necessary.

OX9_sm.jpg

how are you going to get the gas out? you need the regulator. which I could only find in the benzomatic welding kit for about 50 bucks. the O2 is left hand thread so you cant use a propane torch tip to get the gas out. I had already thought of that and even brought one with me to test fit when I found out about the thread difference.
after that ya just the tank

how are you going to get the gas out? you need the regulator. which I could only find in the benzomatic welding kit for about 50 bucks. the O2 is left hand thread so you cant use a propane torch tip to get the gas out. I had already thought of that and even brought one with me to test fit when I found out about the thread difference.
after that ya just the tank

I bought something similiar of this from my lhbs for 30 bucks...

OxygenationAssembly.jpg

I picked up a racking cane for another buck, and put the airstone between that and the hose, just like the kit you can get from midwest supplies.

ok I'm jealous. normally I find it cheaper to find sources outside of LHBS for items like this. I guess a should have looked around a bit. Oh well at least I have a light duty weld kit now.

Are you positive that the regulator part of my kit can't be found through mcmaster carr or somewhere? I figured it was just some regular piece of welding equipment or something that some enterprising homebrewer (like our own Yuri) looked at one day and said "I can brew with that!"

Latest posts

Back