Trying to build a fermentation fridge

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

petree3

Reaction score
Hey everybody I'm trying to brew good beer but the damn nice california weather keeps getting to warm. What are some fridges that you guys have used that fit a plastic 5 gallon bucket fermenter with a 2 piece airlock on top? I'm trying to get the maximum bang out of my buck as I am getting married soon and need to save as much as I can!

Many people build fermentation closets by building an insulated box to hold carboys and then attaching that to a mini-fridge. Check out and search the DIY area here for some ideas if this interests you.

You might also have luck finding models that work without modifying.

Good luck.

I am building one from a medium sized chest freezer, ~10cf, and a homemade fermwrap from flex watt(~$17Delivered). Chest freezers are cheaper(typically no more than $90), they are better insulated and the access is on top and not the side, your cold air won't spill out when you open the door which is better for efficiency.
I am just newly married and understand when you say you need to save as much as possible. Good luck in your adventures together, marriage is a wonderful thing, as long as she is happy. :drunk: :D
Cheers!!

I just built a fermentation fridge from a Sanyo 4.3 CF fridge, an STC-1000 temp controller and a heating element from the pet store for keeping lizards warm.

Total cost was about $70, including misc parts. Paid $20 for the fridge at a yard sale last summer (about $200 new), $20 for the temp controller and $20 for the heater. It emits no light.

If you are looking for a used fridge bring your bucket, lid and airlock with you. I did not have to cut out any door shelves as they were removable, except for the bottom one. Had to cut and fit a 2x10 pine board for the bucket to sit on so the door can be closed. Can post photos if you like.

I am building one from a medium sized chest freezer, ~10cf, and a homemade fermwrap from flex watt(~$17Delivered). Chest freezers are cheaper(typically no more than $90), they are better insulated and the access is on top and not the side, your cold air won't spill out when you open the door which is better for efficiency.
I am just newly married and understand when you say you need to save as much as possible. Good luck in your adventures together, marriage is a wonderful thing, as long as she is happy. :drunk: :D
Cheers!!
Thank you, I was thinking of a chest freezer but I wasn't sure of the size. Is 10 cf just enough for one carboy of 2?

I just built a fermentation fridge from a Sanyo 4.3 CF fridge, an STC-1000 temp controller and a heating element from the pet store for keeping lizards warm.

Total cost was about $70, including misc parts. Paid $20 for the fridge at a yard sale last summer (about $200 new), $20 for the temp controller and $20 for the heater. It emits no light.

If you are looking for a used fridge bring your bucket, lid and airlock with you. I did not have to cut out any door shelves as they were removable, except for the bottom one. Had to cut and fit a 2x10 pine board for the bucket to sit on so the door can be closed. Can post photos if you like.

Photos would be great I always love to look at what others have done before me. I am definitely going to hit the swap meets and garage sales to find my chest freezer

Oh man poster is in the same boat as me! The gf doesnt want me wasting money on a fridge, but doesnt want to hear me complain about the house being too warm for my yeasties lol. Ca needs to go back to winter ;)

You should be able to get more than two carboys in a 10 cf freezer. I can just get a 6 gallon glass carboy and a 6.5 bucket in my 5 cf model. I did have to add a collar though.

I picked up a slightly used wine fridge on Craigslist for real cheap. It only holds one 6 gallon bucket, but that works for me for now. Until I get a temp controller, I just keep an eye on the temps and make adjustments as needed.

Back