Fermenting in bottling bucket?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jtd6628

Reaction score
Is Fermenting in bottling bucket with lid ok? My worry is it might be too much pressure for the spigot. Has anyone tried this?

The spigot will be fine. There should never be too much positive pressure, as the c02 is escaping via the airlock or blow off tube.

Mine had a uber slow leak though, so we ended up with 4 drops of stout on the floor, watch for that.

Shouldn't be a problem, but you might have to put a little bit of extra care into making sure the spigot is well sanitized.

I do it all the time, never had any problems. Just make sure you use an airlock or blow off tube.

My bottling bucket sucks and no matter what I do there is a slow drip. Its not a significant amount (maybe 1 tsp. over the course of bottling), but its annoying as hell to me. I know people that do ferment in one and they don't have issues (that I know of).

My bottling bucket sucks and no matter what I do there is a slow drip. Its not a significant amount (maybe 1 tsp. over the course of bottling), but its annoying as hell to me. I know people that do ferment in one and they don't have issues (that I know of).

I had a faucet like that. I use it on my sanitizer bucket now. Don't care much about the occasional drip.

There are really good bucket faucets, and then there are the drippy kind...

Cheers!

I was just thinking about this the other evening when I was bottling. I was also thinking what to use as a larger bottling bucket so it is easier to bottle twelve-gallons at a time, so that I can just transfer it all at once to one container.

I wish I could trade my bottling bucket for another fermenter. I haven't used it for bottling in over six months, and the damn thing leaks a little no matter what I do.

Back