If you could only use 2 or 3 varieties of hops

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bgburdman9

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I was thinking about ordering a couple pounds of hops off of hops direct. I dont really brew that much but I still think it would save me money if I ordered in bulk. If I cant use it all then I have some friends that can probably take some off me.

What varieties would you buy if you could only get 2 or 3 varieties for most of your brews? I am sure ill buy a few ounces locally when needed for certain beers.

I am pretty sure that Ill get centennial just because I want to make something similar to two hearted but i am not sure of the other 1-2 varieties to get.

Also wondering if you would get pellet or whole hops? And if anyone knows when this years pellets come available on hopsdirect.

Depends what you like to brew. EKG if you like English ales. Hallertau if you like german beers (also good for some Belgians). A high-alpha clean bittering hop for all-around use (Magnum).

My last order was a pound each of EKG, Target, Centennial and EKG.

It all depends on the styles of beers that you like. If you want to do a Two Hearted, the Centennial is a must have. I like to keep Biermunchers Centennial Blonde on tap so that also includes cascade. The cascade is also used in EdWort's Haus Pale Ale.

For Hopsdirect price of $6.75 and it's universal use I also keep Willamette on hand. With the current prices, it sure makes it tough to decide, but it is nice to be able to buy 2 or 3 for the same price I've paid for one recently. Good luck deciding.

I meant to say what styles i brew in the original post. I do not brew any lagers at all right now so probably not any german style beer and probably not many belgian styles. Mostly beers with american hops and occasional english styles. \

I wouldn't really know but Goldings have served me well so far. Also if you keep pellets in the fridge they should last for up to a couple of years as far as I know so it might be worth investing in enough to make a few brews since it will last a long time, better have someone confirm that though :mug:

I'd get a general bittering hops (I went with Galena) and a few fancy hops. Like another post said, though, it depends on the styles you tend to enjoy and make most often. If American ales, for example, go with Cascade and/or Amarillo. Buy what you like.

I would recommend Cascade/Centennial, EKG, Saaz, Hallertau and Magnum for bittering. Obviously if you don't brew certain styles then these recommendations might exclude a certain variety. These varieties should cover most styles though.

East Kent Golding, Magnum, Cascade - Though Willamette is fast becoming a favorite of mine and Centennial is practically mandatory for IPA.

After all the votes so far.

1. Cascade
2. centennial
3. EKG
4. Magnum
5. saaz
6. Amarillo
7. hallertau
8. willamette
8. simcoe

Most other hops only have received 1-2 votes.

If I were ordering only three varieties, I'd order:

Sterling
Willamette
EKG

If I could wedge in a fourth, I'd add Columbus to the list.

I am a huge IPA drinker. I just ordered some from Hopsdirect.
I ordered:

1 - Magnum
1 - Amarillo
1 - Centennial
1- Cascade
1 -

I guess I would rather spend a little more and order like 1lb of 5-8 varieties so you can really brew most anything you want, vacuum seal and freeze them in smaller packs and they should be good for a year.

But my go to hops are Magnum, Perle, Cascade, Chinook, and Amarillo.

Magnum, Cascade, and Columbus. The American beers take many many hops, so thats normally what I buy in lbs.

Top 3 for me:
Amarillo (Centennial as close second)
EKG
Hallertau

A good supply of these 3 would let me brew 95% of the beers I brew.

Cascade (homegrown)
Nugget (homegrown)
EKG
Liberty
Warrior
Challenger

and then smaller amounts of others in the freezer.

If forced to narrow it down:
A "C" type for American PAs
EKG, Fuggle, Williamette for English style
Noble: Liberty, Mt Hood, Crystal, Hallertau

There is no perfect answer here. Get whatever hop you think you will use the most. I started buying bulk apprehensive just like you. But they will store for a long time if well kept in the freezer anyway, so you'll use them up eventually. Buying in bulk is great because besides the savings, you can really get to know whatever hop you buy really well by experimenting with it in brews. This fall I'm doing single hop brews to better get to know Nugget and Northern Brewer. I can't wait to try them out. Buying in bulk has helped me learn about and love Cascade, Simcoe, Amarillo, Columbus, Chinook and Centennial so far. So choose whatever you think.

you will probably be glad you did once you start experimenting with them, good luck and hopefully you will encourage me to experiment a little :D

I had the same issue and could only get 2 or 3 pounds.

So I got:

Amarillo
Cascade
Centennial
Columbus
Chinook
Magnum
Goldings
Hallertau
Simcoe

I meant to say what styles i brew in the original post. I do not brew any lagers at all right now so probably not any german style beer and probably not many belgian styles. Mostly beers with american hops and occasional english styles. \

That makes your choice much easier:
Centennial for your IPA, Cascade for your APA, EKG for your ESB.

I have ordered Cascade and Centennial only.

If you only want to order two, and you brew only American and British styles, go with Centennial and either EKG or Fuggles. If you want to order more, start spreading out with the other styles.

TL

Both whole flower:

Magnum.

Hallertauer.

In that order.

2936250508_ae2db7a1a3.jpg

^not me, btw.

Back