Other homebrewers beer thoughts

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

user 22118

Reaction score
Have you found that other homebrewers might not have what it takes to make good beer. I had a friends' beer and it tasted bad. Another friends' beer was good, but rather thin. Is this a problem that can be fixed? Can I invite them over or say let's have a beer session and critique in order to make your beer better?

I love beer and want everyone to enjoy it as much as I have, both drinking and brewing.

Of course. We should all help each other brew better beer. As long as you're not rude about it, I don't see any problem.

I want people to tell me how my beer could be better (assuming they know what the heck they're talking about).

I guess the big question is, do they agree that your beer is better than theirs? :D

I'm always happy to help and offer advise, but only to those who seem to want it. It might take a little tact on your part to offer critique without offending, they may be very happy with the beer they are making. I guess it just depends on the person - some folks are happy to receive constructive criticism and others (my wife comes to mind LOL) are not as thrilled as they should be when given suggestions for improvement.

I would welcome constructive criticism, but its a lot easier when the "your beer is thin" is followed by have you tried this or this to help thicken it?"

I guess it just depends on the person - some folks are happy to receive constructive criticism and others (my wife comes to mind LOL) are not as thrilled as they should be when given suggestions for improvement.
Hey ifishsum, from your avatar, it looks like you could use some finings in your boil. :D

Yeah, I am not trying to be mean about it at all. I love hanging out with them and sucking back a few. I do find though on a consistent basis (compared to both commercial and homebrew) that their beers could use a little tweaking. The friend that had a thinner beer, it was a tasty IPA, though at the same time was kind of weak in the malt flavor department and went down like a hopped up MGD. I don't know his recipe so I couldn't help him at the time, but I would like to find out what could be done to improve it with him.

As I say, we all love beer and I am not saying that mine is any better than theirs. I am saying though that if they are brewing beer and might be able to improve it with some collective brainstorming, is it a good idea to bring it up or no?

If you think you won't insult them with constructive criticism, then go for it. I for one, while remembering that I like the taste of my brews, still like to get opinions of other brewers to further improve my brews. I give as well as take, so my opinions are also taken with a grain of salt, so to speak, by my other brewer buddies.
A craftsman shouldn't worry about constructive criticism, especially if it helps him improve.

I've found that some brewers do not care to advance or improve their beers or methods.

My neighbor's dad brews beer....bad beer. He uses lots of sugar and his beer is always skunked because he only uses clear bottles. He is perfectly happy brewing his bad beers. I don't know if he has ever had really good beer so he may not know the difference.

Someone who should know the difference because he is an beer snob is our best friend and brew buddy. He has no interest in trying all grain. We finally "kind of" got him to do some partial mashes. I say "kind of" because I did it but it was at his house. If I hadn't done it for him, he would be perfectly happy making simple boxed kits forever.

I must admit that I don't really understand the lack of interest in improving ones knowledge and skills at the craft but I guess for some folks good enough is good enough.

Well, it seems simple to me. Offer them one of your homebrews that you think is better than what they're brewing, and if they respond with something like, "Man, your beer seems so much fuller and more balanced than mine," (or whatever) then you've got your opening to offer your help in improving theirs.

Well, it seems simple to me. Offer them one of your homebrews that you think is better than what they're brewing, and if they respond with something like, "Man, your beer seems so much fuller and more balanced than mine," (or whatever) then you've got your opening to offer your help in improving theirs.
Exactly...:rockin:

Thin beer...malto dextrin prior to bottling. Many people will sample the test tube prior to racking to the bottling bucket. I say that's a bad sample because the brew may be layered in the carboy.

I sample/test for body after racking to the bottling bucket to see if it needs any adjustment. IMO (logic dictates here) the racking action homogenizes the beer that was on the top with the beer in the middle and bottom of the carboy. ;)

I equate this to taking the temp of the wort before pitching the yeast. After I stir in the top off water I know there are still temperature bands within the fermenter. I'll stir it up for a minute or so then let it sit about 10 mins then stir it up again to allow it to become more homogeneous (temp wise). IMO the readings are more accurate.:mug:

I have only sent beer to 1 other person, that was not a family member, and he is actally a member here - ArcaneXor, and he did a really nice writeup of my Oatmeal Stout. He said that eventhough he is not a Stout drinker, he would order a second at a restaurant if he was sitting there and my beer was the one on tap.

Quite a nice compliment really!

That said, I received 3 beers from -TH- for off taste diagnosis. I tried my best to discern the off taste. Hope I helped him out. Without that off taste, the beers were really damn good and true to style.

I have never had a homebrew besides my own brew , so i have know idea what your beers taste like but mine are good? but maybe there not? how would i know?... it's better than commercial beer , and its fun, i just drank a few and feeling it ... i make my beer a little strong , but not hot... its fkin great! but i would appreciate a home brewers opinion and criticism on any of my brews because all i get is ... this is the dark stuff? from the bmc group. mmm beer is good...

I have a friend that doesn't drink stouts. I only had that on tap, so I served him up a sample 4oz and told him that it really is just dark in color, but really easy to drink. I don't know if he enjoyed it or just drank it, but he said good things. Where am I going here? Point being that my homebrewing buddies will show more interest in a variety of beers, while beer snobs only drink one thing (IPA, Stout, Pale, Belgian...) and aren't willing to branch as easily.

Back