Agave Nectar - Ever use it in a beer?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

99blackgt

Reaction score
Well we did. Out of the 3 of me and my friends that brew, i have one buddie who is more concerned with trying new crazy things than he is about drinking good beer. Needless to say, we do some weird stuff to apease his appatite sometimes. This was an IPA, with extracts amoung other things, that included Agave Nectar. I dont' have the full recipe in front of me, but it was your basic 2 rows, crystals, hops, and then some honey, and about 2lb agave. Just put it in a keg last night and the initial tastings are sweet with a very different and distinct taste

Couldn't get the damn thing to go down below 1.025, which is high for us. Started off at 1.100 so that finishing gravity might not be that bad. This was meant to be a pretty crazy brew, but i can't get over how sweet this beer is. We'll have to see once the carb takes and the beer is cold and bubbly how it tastes.

Anyone ever tried this? Or interested in trying a bottle? LOL.

Edit: My buddies next crazy idea with wierd extract. Agave nectar with lime, salted after fermentation... Thinking of calling it margarita mead

I brew an ectract with honey, agave nector and "Roses Sweetened Lime Juice" in the secondary never thought about a little salt will post the recipe tonight when I get Home, my Scarecrow Bikini Lime.

I made a wine sort of like a sweet mead using nothing but amber agave nectar and some sweet wine yeast. It was really pretty good. It finished slightly above 1.000, and the flavor was much like a sweet white grape wine. I don't think it will add much flavor to a beer, though.

:tank: sorry for not getting back sooner , pooter at home has swine flu:mad:
My Scarecrow Bikini Lime Recipe
5 Gallon
Steep 8 oz Crystal 10 L
4 oz Carapils at 155 for 30 minutes
3 lbs ExLight DME
1 lb Rice Syrup
1 lb Corn Suger
1/2 lb Orange Honey
1/2 lb Aggave Nector :drunk:
45 minute Boil
2/3 oz Cascade and 2/3 oz dryed Bitter orange peel 5 min. after start of boil
1 oz Irish Moss 30 minutesa after start of boil
2/3 oz Cascade 40 minutes after start of boil
0.4 oz Ground corriander after Flame out
Safale Dry ale yeast
in Secondary :D 4 oz "Roses Sweetened Lime Juice"
at Botteling 1 oz "Roses Sweetened Lime Juice"
1/2 cup Suger

If you like it more Hoopy add another 2/3 Oz Cascade 25 minutes after start of Boil
I dont like mine so Hoppy and i have to admit I like Bud Lime and Michelobe Lime :cross:
any feedback would be apreciated on Recipe :mug:

Sounds like an AB classic... but with more flavor.

tequiza.jpg

It's an American Lager (of course) with a noticeable tequila taste--as agave nectar is fermented, then distilled, to produce tequila.

Tasty stuff IMHO. Should be more than interesting in your IPA.

i might have to try something like that, it will make me happy to work on some lighter beers (the other two guys obsess over very dark stouts ONLY) AND they'll still be happy with adding garbage to a beer. LOL

for now, this agave IPA is going to need some time in the closet, we'll see how it tastes in a month or so.

Breckenridge Brewery has an Agave Wheat that is decent. Several members of our club use agave for a few of their beers. The agave usually ferments out completely during primary and only leaves a little flavor.

Back