Is My Yeast Still Good?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TRainH2o

Reaction score
Hi all,

I bought a couple of kits from ABS last September. I brewed one on Teach a Friend to Brew Day. Since I am new and had little equipment, I only had 1 fermentor. Needless to say, I had to wait to brew my second batch until I kegged the first. Next thing you know it's Christmas and I really didn't have time to brew until now.

Being a total newbie I didn't think about refrigerating my yeast.....until now. It has been at room temperature since the kit came in. It's a liquid White Labs California Ale yeast.

Is it still good?
Do I need to make a starter for it?
What's the quickest way to get it going?

Tomorrow is our first day in many weeks that it's going to be near 50˚*outside and I would really like to brew it up before life happens again. Thanks.

If you'd like to brew tomorrow, you can visit your LHBS and purchase a comparable dry yeast(us-05). If you plan to wait, you can either make a starter for the yeast in your possession or purchase a different yeast. I wouldn't go through the time, effort, and trouble of brewing a batch of beer for a "maybe my yeast will be viable to ferment my batch with good results".
US-05 would be the cali ale dry replacement.
Cheers!

Back