Non-Alcoholic homebrew

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
CRUD I didn't catch the age of this thread. Where's the DELETE button?

That would make wort - if someone wants to drink that. Its about as much fun slurping the sugar-milk left after you eat all the Crunch-Berries

I haven't read the 35+ posts on this two year old thread.
but can't you just brew as normal and not pitch any yeast to make a non-alcohol brew?

all those sugars that you converted for the yeast to eat would not get eaten and end up in your final product. it would be pretty sweet and probably not taste too much like beer. also the fermentation provides some flavors too, besides alcohol.

CRUD I didn't catch the age of this thread. Where's the DELETE button?

That would make wort - if someone wants to drink that. Its about as much fun slurping the sugar-milk left after you eat all the Crunch-Berries

so your trying to say its delicious? :D

Necroed...BOO.

However, It did occur to me that if someone wanted to make some NA beer all they would need to do is make said beer as normal. Rack to a pot that will hold the volume and slowly heat the beer to 175F for 15 min. DO NOT BOIL IT. Then cold crash the brew and force carb. This sounds like a great job for a hacked Miller/Coors Home Draft system if I ever heard of one...

bringing this thread back from the dead.
Gonna try make an NA beer. Everything i've read says to use fresh rehydrated yeast after boiling off the alcohol. Could i just use some of the yeast cake left from the fermentation? Stir it in along with the sugar for bottle carbing

bringing this thread back from the dead.
Gonna try make an NA beer. Everything i've read says to use fresh rehydrated yeast after boiling off the alcohol. Could i just use some of the yeast cake left from the fermentation? Stir it in along with the sugar for bottle carbing

Renecroed...

Using yeast will make alcohol, the very evil you are trying to NOT have in it! If you can have a little alcohol just make a 2% ABV ale...

Its all good if it has some, but mainly negligible alcohol in it. I just think it would be pretty dope to have some NA beers i can enjoy during weekdays, while studying, before driving etc without having to intake all the alcohol.

From what i've read, bottle carbing with sugar/yeast adds ~0.25% alcohol content. The initial boil off of the alcohol brings the 5% down to roughly 0.5%. So the final result would be approximately 0.75% abv which would be totally perfect. I've already got more than enough home brew alcohol on hand in my condo to get my stomach pumped a few dozen times. Currently i've got a batch of honey blonde, and a batch of red ale both almost finishing up in the carboy. I think i'll try split off like 1/3 of each of those batches into a large 8L cooking pot for heating and try this experiment out.

I'll report back in a few weeks with the results. I really dont see any reason why fresh rehydrated yeast would be better than some yeast cake mixed in

Well i got busy and it took me longer than expected to get around to bottling. But a week i finally did it. I put like 5 liters at a time into my large cooking pot, heated it up to ~180° using my meat thermometer and then just stirred it every once in a while and let it heat for a good half hour. Then put it back it all back into a bucket, added the priming sugar and let it sit outside on the porch to cool down and then i stirred in a good amount of yeast cake from the bottom of the first bucket.

I've tried a few so far, one yesterday and one a few days ago. Tastes pretty decent. Pretty much the same as normal beer thats only been bottled for a week. Im excited for them to finish and settle in the bottles. I still have to do the alcohol test where i pound a liter of them and see if i get buzzed. So far i've only drank the 500mL bottles slowly but i did not detect any significant buzz the way I would with a regular beer. I'll report back in a few more weeks after more extensive sampling has been done

I would really like to try this as well. Pokeacow, would you be interested in sharing one of your recepies?

What I can buy of Non-Alcoholic beer where I live taste horrible...

I would really like to try this as well. Pokeacow, would you be interested in sharing one of your recepies?

What I can buy of Non-Alcoholic beer where I live taste horrible...

Are you saying that there is a tasty commercial alcohol free beer? Please enlighten me!

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Home Brew mobile app

All my beer I make comes from the "Brewhouse" kit series. I just fermented the 'honey blonde' kit and then cooked off the alcohol

You pretty much use whatever recipe you like as a normal beer, and then it winds up tasting pretty similar as the non-alcoholic version. I dont understand why the commercial non-alcoholic beer all tastes like piss. Makes no sense.

I have been homebrewing for quite a while and recently had to cut out the alcohol. I truly enjoy brewing and have an extensive recipe collection that is tried and true. I would love to start brewing again and replicate some of my favorites in a N/A or really Low alcohol version. Going to try an American Red in the oven method first, maybe a half batch. If anyone out there has any good advice or tips please drop me a line, Thanks! Sheldon.

If you read through the various threads on the topic, you will find that although heating the beer after fermentation will reduce the alcohol content, it is totally impossible to eliminate it all. You will hear from various people who obviously were not paying attention in high school science who will tell you the following:

This is completely incorrect, water and ethanol mixtures have boiling points which correspond to concentration. As ethanol vapourizes, the boiling point of the mixture goes up, increasing the amount of water that vaporizes with the ethanol. You will know when all of the ethanol is gone, because all the water will be gone as well.

It is possible to significantly reduce alcohol content while water remains (into the realm of 1% or less) but it is not possible to eliminate it entirely.

I feel like most of you just ignored this great post…

Back