Hurting enzymes w/a temp spike in partial mashing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sea2summit3

Reaction score
As I understand from "Brewing Quality Beers" by Byron Burch, two groups of enzymes work best at two different temp ranges (pg 20, 2nd edition) I try to keep my mash in the lower range (140 F-149 F) and then towards the end increase the heat (150 F- 158 F) to give the second group of enzymes their chance. Because I'm still partial mashing on the stove with gas heat, I often jump the mash temp up into the second range before I want. If I get the mash temp back down in the lower range, will the low temp enzymes still be effective at converting starches or have I effectively killed them off by my temp spike?

I know it probably doesn't matter all that much since I'm not doing AG yet but I'm enjoying the challenge of trying to incorporate AG techniques in my partial mash methods. :D

I'll take a guess on this one, based on my experience, and say that it DOES matter. I did an AG recently and did a stepped mash. On my saach rest step , I over shot by 10*.

I cooled it off ASAP, and finished the schedule. The OG was within a point, so I thought I was good.

Fast Forward to Day 14: Stuck fermentation at 1.020. I added some amylase enzyme and gave it a swirl. It has started fermenting again.

So, I think I killed a bunch of my amylase enzymes during that overshoot.

I commend you on your challenging yourself to use mashing temperature to create the wort you want but you are doing it the hard way. You need an insulated mash vessel to be more able to hold temperature steady and then use boiling water infusions to raise to the next level while constantly stirring. It is then easy to do.

Having said the above I think it is a waste of time to do this with such a small quantity of grain because the greater percentage of wort is produced by extracts.

Maybe it's time to go all grain. :)

Maybe it's time to go all grain. :)

Yeah... that's my plan but I'm underpaid in a high cost of living mountain town. I'm slowly gathering stuff for my AG setup. Perhaps my efforts won't be wasted when I get AG up and running. Thanks for the advice!

Yeah... that's my plan but I'm underpaid in a high cost of living mountain town. I'm slowly gathering stuff for my AG setup. Perhaps my efforts won't be wasted when I get AG up and running. Thanks for the advice!

My AG setup completely paid for itself within 3 AG batches and now I pay less than 1/2 per batch from what I used to pay.

what mountain town??

as for the $$$, i just bought a converted cooler and turkey fryer for ag. tired of paying ~$45 mail order for ingredients, or $55+ LHBS!

the ed worts haus pale im vrewing this weekend cam in under $20 for everything needed. that will add up fast.

what mountain town??
as for the $$$, i just bought a converted cooler and turkey fryer for ag. tired of paying ~$45 mail order for ingredients, or $55+ LHBS!
the ed worts haus pale im vrewing this weekend cam in under $20 for everything needed. that will add up fast.

Mammoth Lakes. Looks like I'm right over the Sierras from ya!:mug:

Last time I went to Reno I scored at a thrift store. A big 10 gal orange drink cooler in great shape for seven bucks. Working on converting that into my mash tun. I've also topped two kegs for a boil kettle and liquor tank. I'll be there soon!
Got my last lot of parts ordered for reconditioning an old kegerator. That should be up and running for Turkey day! :D

Back