Which of you homebrewers are also home chefs?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Beerbeque

Reaction score
Do you homebrewers like to cook too? I think that it was my love of cooking that led me to be a homebrewer. I cook almost every day. I enjoy creating recipes from scratch, and that is the way I approach homebrewing. I make up my own recipes based on what I've learned from others' recipes and from personal experience. I've always enjoyed brewing soups from scratch and brewing beer is a lot like making homemade soup I think. I put in more of what I like and leave out what I don't like. I've never been a "stick to the recipe" guy. Most of my soups, sauces and beers come out pretty good using this approach. Barbequeing is my other passion No surprise there ( see my user name) I enjoy slow cooking over charcoal and wood for that rich smoky flavor although I don't like smoked beers (Rauchbier).

I do most of the cooking at home. I've been in a rut for awhile where I don't want to spend a lot of time cooking but it's mainly because we have two kittens running around the house sucking up a lot of my time and energy. Smelling up the whole house with a nice roast or something similar while downing a bottle of wine in the kitchen is the perfect way to spend a Sunday afternoon for me, especially in the winter.

Someone once called me the Boby Flay of mead over on the mead forum....

No For Real....I think the fact that brewing and cooking are basically the same damn thing....I love them both.

Definetly love cooking. i love making things from scratch. Baking bread, and doing home made pizzas, etc.
i think the cooking and homebrewing seem to lead to one another.
Our homebrew club, Cascade Brewers Society not only has some great brewers, but some amazing chefs, as well.

Food and beer go hand in hand. I have worked as a cook. Did not have the right temperament for it plus it drains you and makes it not as much fun.

Cooking at home is much better.

Love baking too, that definitely goes together with brewing in my opinion.

Nice crusty hearth bread...

hmm, time to feed the sourdough starter.

I cook 99% of what I eat. I sometimes grab lunch when I don't have time to go home and cook in the 1 hour I have for lunch. I'm trying to get back into body building, so I can't be putting processed restaurant crap in my body. Also I don't like salt, and that stuff is like slowly committing suicide, which is another reason to stay away from processed food.

I like cooking when im in the mood, its always fun when you see a recipe that inspires or just have a craving for a particular kind of food. It definitely goes with brewing, same level of freedom, inspiration, and quality. I think cooking is something people get or dont get from home, so many people I know were never taught to cook and eat such crappy foods, take out and fast food all the time. Ive been lucky coming from a family where everyone cooks almost every night, we eat out or get take maybe 5 times a year. living with 3 vegans and 2 omnivores ensured at least two sometimes three different meals were cooked every night. The inspiration Ive felt when cooking certainly carried over to my brewing.

chef... now manager as far as profession. At home, I share cooking duties with SWMBO.
Brewing and cooking go hand in hand. I love them both.

aspiring chef.....cook for fun, brew for fun, drink for fun. Basically everythings just for fun.

Me me me me!!! I've been cooking much longer than brewing, I was even considering entering the "be the next food network star" cearch a couple years back.

I get "you should open a resteraunt" quite a lot, but I can't do production, and besides I love it too much to eever want to make it a career...

Although down in Missouri for my last year at ministerial school, my classmate/cottage mate was a food geek too, and we ended up doing catering for class and student functions all the time.

I also love to cook, bake, and bbq. I have really got the big guy into food and we eat well. In my world brewing and cooking are cousins.

I put my Sierra Nevada apron on and I'm off and running. Seriously though, I'd say I do about 85-90% of the cooking here. I'm a control freak so I like controlling what is going in my stomach. Last night I actually made an awesome meal of filet mignon with smashed potatoes and spinach. I finished the steak off with some Scotch Ale reduction that was totally amazing...:mug:

Anything but pies, cakes, and the ilk. That's what my wife does best. She doesn't really like cooking but loves baking. :shrug:

Me! I do about 90% of the cooking here as well, and I love doing it. Last night's dinner was tuna and california rolls with steamed edamame. I'm with Melana- cooking and brewing are perfect partners

We split the cooking duties- who ever is in the mood, or gets home from work earlier cooks. We both love to cook.

He's more the stir-fry/quick meal guy, making a lot of Thai food. I'm the ideas person, or the one who makes the long, involved meals. I make quick ones, too, but a perfect day for me would involve making sauce and gnocchi, or sauerbraten, or golabki. I like ethnic comfort food in the fall/winter.

I used to do it for a living. I am classically trained in Haute Cuisine. I have things like homemade Demi Glace in the freezer. It is my favorite creative outlet.

Not me.

But seriously, yeah, I do all the cooking for my wife and daughter. I like to get fancy every now and then, but sometimes just don't have the money to support the habit.

I do, however, homebake all our family's bread every week. That reminds me I need to make some Whole Wheat for my daughter tonight.

I Love to cook. I would enjoy making fancy dishes and presenting food even more but with 8 people in my family, I make alot of quick casseroles, meatloaf, etc... Unlike brewing, when I cook, I rarely follow a recipe. I don't think I've made meatloaf the same way twice. Usually around lunchtime I start to think about dinner and think about what we have at home, I'll start piecing toghther an idea of the final product in my head.

I cook quite often. Most of my meals are quick comfort food but I like to get freaky every now and then. Keys to making plain meals something special is always have chicken or beef stock and fresh herbs.

I grew up working in kitchens and have been cooking for far longer than I have been brewing. I wouldn't call myself a chef but I certainly know my way around the kitchen.

I'm a baker, so I understand recipes and I cook a little. Tonight was jerk shrimp on a salad of greens and orange, apple, toasted walnuts, red onions, avocados and crumbled gorgonzola with a honey-orange vinaigrette with fresh made Prosciutto/Blue cheese bread:D

If it's any indication, my parents bought me a kitchenaid stand mixer for xmas last year.

Get the ice cream bowl attachment, it rocks!! :rockin:

I do 99% of the cooking at my house and routinely cook at work---made lasagna last night at work (16 people on my shift!) Should've went to culinary school.

My favorite thing to cook: BBQ. (Not to be confused with grilling although I like that too). ;)

Get the ice cream bowl attachment, it rocks!! :rockin:

I do 99% of the cooking at my house and routinely cook at work---made lasagna last night at work (16 people on my shift!) Should've went to culinary school.

My favorite thing to cook: BBQ. (Not to be confused with grilling although I like that too). ;)

I was going to go for the uber expensive kitchenade, but this summer I laid my hands on a cherry 1950's flexblade Sunbeam Mixmaster Model 10, complete with the (rare that it hasn't broken) upper juicer attachment.

For 15 bucks!

Model10Clean.jpg

The juicer is the thing on the bottom...it fits above the handle and drains down into the bowls.

Model10Toys.jpg

I've been keeping my eye out for the old grain mill attachement.

Back