Quality Home Brewing Kit

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

aaron_plymouth

Reaction score
I'm a wanna be brewer looking for a quality home brewing set up. Any suggestions on what is good? There seem to be many kits available, but I have no idea what what brand produces the best quality beer.

Aaron, how much work do you want to do? For no work, try the wort-in-a-bag variety of kits, ie Brewhouse, Baron's, Festa....

A BIT more work but really a lot of fun are the canned extract "kits" from cooper's, munton's, or morgan's. They're mostly pretty good. All you need is some dextrose or better yet some dry malt extract to boil em up with. Then you make beer. They give you yeast and everything. I've made some cracking beers with very little adjustment. The key is to make about 5 US gal or 19 L with the kit, rather than the 6 gal or 23L they suggest. That's just too watery.

Lots of the "kits" you get off the net incude grains, and hops and all sorts of complicated stuff. Good stuff, but probably more than you want. Try clickabrew on the net if you don't have a local home brew shop.

Your post almost seems to be asking about equipment as well. Are you looking to do all grain, or just kits, or what? Most of the basic setups are the same... primary fermenter, secondary fermenter, syphons, sanitizer etc. Good to have a hydrometer too. If you want more than that, ask in the All Grain forum, and you'll get a list of equipment options a mile long.

If you are talking about the equipment kits I would suggest one that has at least one glass fermenter with it. It's OK to do the primary in a plastic bucket but after a week your beer should be transferred to a glass carboy secondary for best results.
There are many Home Brew Stores that sell kits and they are all about the same.
With most kits you will have to buy a stainless steel pot for boiling your wort and you will need about 50 12 ounce bottles
Other things I might recommend the kit have:
A Hydrometer
A Thermometer
A good book for beginners (Complete Joy of Home Brewing is great)
An Automatic siphon starter with racking cane.
Crown bottle caps
A bottle capper
Here is a kit from the store I shop at
http://store.thebrewhut.com/index.asp?PageAction=VIEWPROD&ProdID=28

Back