Malolactic fermentation general guidance

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

strongarm

Reaction score
Just wondering if I can get some pointers. My wine is done fermenting SG 0.9935 and there is a decent amount of lees. I plan to rack off the lees then add my culture keeping temp at 75 degrees. Do I want to leave any headspace in my carboys? Any other advice?

In general you Do want a bit of headspace, but you won't get the same krausen effect of fermentation. At 75 degrees you could be done quickly, but its good you held off till the end of fermentation if that's your temp. You can start MLF before fermentation ends, but this is usually done with larger open vat fermentors that could lose their CO2 cap.

What wine are you doing this with? What malolactic culture did you choose to go with?

Viniflora is the culture. It's 20 gallons of Caldwell Cabernet Sauv from Napa and 4 gallons of Merlot. Got all the grapes frozen from Brehm. Racked and added culture before I saw this message. I filled to the neck. Only a little headspace in the neck area. Should I rack some off or am I ok? Also I read it's recommended to swirl the lees 1-2 times a week through MLF, does that sound right?

Back