Apple Ale?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orfy

For the love of beer!
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Any one tried it? Any thoughts?

I got to thinking what an hopped cider would be like.
Then I thought well what about an Apple Ale.
Then I though why not.
Then I thought do I really want to go to all the effort and make a batch to find out it's poop?

The answer.

Mix my cider with my BIGIPA.

I thinks it's good......:rockin:

if my cider experiment ive got in primary goes over well, i may try a smaller batch and dry hop it and see what i get...i guess it couldnt hurt right?

Unibroue brewery has one called Ephemere. The label says "ale brewed with apple juice, coriander and curacao. It was pretty tasty.

Hmmmm, I think it could work as long as you get a good enough attentuation to dry it out. I don't think I'd want a sweet apple taste in my beer...

I had some Ephemere lately and thought it really really good. I wonder if you could get the same results by making a Witbier w/ 50% of the grains and just topping the boil off with apple juice or cider instead of water. For example;

Boil 3gal of water w/ 1oz Saaz or EKG at 60min then at 30 min drop in 3lbs of Wheat Extract. At 15 min add 1oz of Curacao, 1oz of Orange Peel & 1oz of Coriander. Once you are done with the boil, bring it to pitching temp and top off with 2.5-3 gal of whichever cider you prefer. I would think that the clove flavor in Wyeast 3638 would be wicked good but maybe go with 3944 to keep in the Witbier tradition.

Maybe even steep .5lb of raw wheat for a little extra something.

Back