Sierra Nevada Ruthless Rye

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It just came out I'm pretty sure... remember seeing it in a magazine, then saw it at my local liquor store, so I picked some up.

ForumRunner_20120114_233102.jpg

Favorite beer I've ever had. Was on SN torpedo, then read about RUthless on SN Facebook page. Found it at Kroger Saturday and finished all 6 the same night. Went back today and cleared the shelf, unfortunately they only had two 6-packs left, but they are in my fridge now. Sad to know this is a seasonal but I will be stockpiling all winter/spring.

yeah i bought 2 bottles with a "make your own 6pack" deal. i need to go out and get more while its available, and then figure out how to clone it!

I love it! had a six pack last week when I was in Kentucky for work, I went looking tonight, but I'm travelling for work and couldnt find a GOOD beer store, so I went with some founders Dirty Bastard (from Walmart of all places!!!) instead....I'll settle I suppose lol

Maybe an unpopular opinion, but I was underwhelmed. I don't have a lot of rye beer experience, so I might not have a taste for it yet (ESBs were the same way for me 5-6 years ago). I mean, it was OK, but I would take a Mirror Pond PA or a SN Torpedo over it.

Had this on draught tonight... I don't have much rye experience either. This one was interesting, kind of a "raw" taste to it -- my wife said it tasted as close as she's had to the way a typical wort boil smells, and I kind of see where she's coming from. I liked the hop profile, but there is a kind of a sweet/spicy punch, maybe due to the rye(?), that was a little rough. I liked the one I had, but I'm not sure I could sit there and drink 4-6 in a row. Anyway, I don't actually know anything about tasting beer, so to each his own.

:mug:

I thought this was really, really good - better than Celebration even, and I drank a lot of Celebration this winter. I wanna know what % of the grain bill is rye in this. I plan on drinking way too many of these tonight.

+1 on this what a great beer, was expecting slightly above average from Sierra Nevada and I truly loved this beer

Just had it this weekend and it was darn tasty! Its no Red's Rye, but it is one of the best beers that my Kroger now carries!

I'm starting to stock pile this beer in my basement, for some summer days by my pool...

All I can say is yummy. Love the hops profile this beer has. I'm stockpiling while it's still in the stores. Only problem is I can't keep the bottles from popping open and hopping into my hand!

Lol... Ive been buying a twelve pack to drink out of the fridge. and one that goes down in the basement brew room storage, for when they no longer sell it...

Just tried this tonight for the first time. Like others, I haven't had much rye experience. This is a pretty fine beer, however. I like it quite a bit.

I'm having one right now. I also love this beer, and I do understand the "raw" comments people are making, I use a lot of rye in my brewing so I'm looking forward to brewing this one as soon as I can. Does anybody know what hops are in this? It almost has a German noble hops taste to it.

According to their site:

Bittering: Bravo
Aroma: Chinook & Experimental
Dry Hops: Chinook, Citra, and Experimental

Obviously it seems like the "experimental" are proprietary, but who knows you may be able to get close with the other info.

If you do try to clone it, watch your hop load (especially bittering). The rye has a bitter taste profile that can easily put you over the top if you go with too much AA in the beginning of your boil. I've made several experimental all grain rye brews and that was my first problem. I hope this helps someone trying to clone.:mug:

Back