Official Recipe: Alpha God (Triple IPA)

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mhenry41h

Reaction score
Draconian Libations': Alpha God

Est OG: 1.100
Est FG: 1.010
Est SRM: 7.6
Est IBU: 150
Est ABV: 12.0%

6 Gallons
65% Eff
147 deg mash @ 90 Minutes
75 Minute boil

12 lbs 00 ozs Weyermann Pale Ale (50.5%)
05 lbs 00 ozs Simpsons Golden Promise (21.1%)
03 lbs 00 ozs Weyermann Vienna
01 lbs 12 ozs Dextrose
01 lbs 00 ozs Castle Caramel Pils
01 lbs 00 ozs Weyermann Cara Foam

1.475 Oz Magnum - 75 Mins
1.000 Oz Super Alpha - 36 Mins
1.000 Oz Centennial - 30 Mins
1.000 Oz Warrior - 24 Mins
1.000 Oz Super Alpha - 18 Mins
1.000 Oz Centennial - 12 Mins
1.000 Oz Warrior - 6 Mins
1.000 Oz Super Alpha - Flame Out
1.000 Oz Centennial - Flame Out
1.000 Oz Warrior - Flame Out
0.750 Oz Super Alpha - 10 Day Dry-Hop
0.750 Oz Centennial - 10 Day Dry-Hop
0.750 Oz Warrior - 10 Day Dry-Hop

2 pk WLP001 Cal Ale in 1.25 L starter (stirplate)

I want to believe that I can achieve 1.010 using dextrose and a 147 degree mash, but Im not whole-heartedly convinced I will get it there. If it finishes under 1.015 I will be ok with it, but I desire as close to 1.010 as possible. This brew should challenge me. I will ferment low to eliminate rocket fuel fusels. I had originally worked on this recipe using Bravo instead of Centennial, but more research leads me to believe that I can get a tremndous hop flavor and aroma using the blend of these 3 hops. Some spiciness, some fruitiness, and hopefully some of the "lemon-grassiness" of Super Alpha...bring it on!

I would doubt that you can get down to 1.010 with 2 pounds of crystal malt. The crystal malts and the sugar serve opposite purposes. I would think about that and eliminate some of each.

90% AA is a stretch with ANY recipe at ANY mash temperature. I would think your only hope of achieving close to that is with sugar. But if I were you, I'd up the grain bill and work with an assumption of 80% AA instead.

But, if you insist on sticking with what you have, change your yeast to something like WLP099.

Or, use amylase in secondary. It may help break up some of the longer chain unfermentables and you might just get 1.010. I used it in two batches recently, and had some success.

2.25 oz of dry hop for a triple IPA? That's weak sauce. Personally, I would shoot for more like 8 oz...

8.5% crystal will make it extremely hard to ferment down to 1.010, even with that lb of sugar. I would recommend eliminating the carafoam - You are a good amount of bittering hops, which should help ensure a nice level of head retention (assuming that's what you were planning on using the carafoam for). Or, just replace it with some wheat malt - at ~4% it probably won't contribute any haze - it's fermentable and it helps with head formation and retention.

Cal Ale yeast will get the job done - it's highly attenuative and can handle abv to 16% (and beyond if its a healthy fermentation). Just be sure to make a BIG starter (Mrmalty.com - use the pitching rate calc).

2.25 oz of dry hop for a triple IPA? That's weak sauce. Personally, I would shoot for more like 8 oz...

8.5% crystal will make it extremely hard to ferment down to 1.010, even with that lb of sugar. I would recommend eliminating the carafoam - You are a good amount of bittering hops, which should help ensure a nice level of head retention (assuming that's what you were planning on using the carafoam for). Or, just replace it with some wheat malt - at ~4% it probably won't contribute any haze - it's fermentable and it helps with head formation and retention.

Cal Ale yeast will get the job done - it's highly attenuative and can handle abv to 16% (and beyond if its a healthy fermentation). Just be sure to make a BIG starter (Mrmalty.com - use the pitching rate calc).

Being continually hopped for 36 minutes with 3 oz at flameout, 2.25 will be plenty! No sense risking vegetal flavors in an expensive beer when this thing will be beaming with hop flavor and aroma.

Risking vegetal flavors? You must not have sound dry-hopping practices...But do what you are comfortable with. Continually hopping is more of a gimmick IMHO, you can get better flavor and aroma from more efficient use of your hops.

mhenry41h said:
Being continually hopped for 36 minutes with 3 oz at flameout, 2.25 will be plenty! No sense risking vegetal flavors in an expensive beer when this thing will be beaming with hop flavor and aroma.

Yea, I also disagree. I would dry hop this bad boy minimum 6oz, if I had extra hops up to 10oz dry hop.

I had a recipe with 4 Ozs of dry hops that I was going over with Tasty McDole one time. He recommended never going that high with dry hops due to risking vegetal flavors. I can't say I've ever had it happen, but that man is a super human hoppy brewer so I took his word for it. I'm not saying you guys are wrong or anything, I was just taking the advice of a guy who I would trust with any advice.

[email protected]

I agree with needing more hops for the dry hop. You get vegetal flavors from dry hopping when you leave the beer on the hops too long...not using too much.

Also, I haven't had good luck with Warrior in large amounts as a flavor/aroma hop. It gives a very strong "iced tea" flavor. In small amounts it can be complimentary, but treating it like any other aroma/flavor hop, I've had less than desirable results.

I agree with needing more hops for the dry hop. You get vegetal flavors from dry hopping when you leave the beer on the hops too long...not using too much.

Also, I haven't had good luck with Warrior in large amounts as a flavor/aroma hop. It gives a very strong "iced tea" flavor. In small amounts it can be complimentary, but treating it like any other aroma/flavor hop, I've had less than desirable results.

+1..

Warrior are generally used as a bittering hop..

Any reason why you're using warrior?

"I've read some articles describing the use of Warrior as a very unique flavor/aroma addition of grapefruit, lemon, and pine..."

I agreee...when using in small amounts...the original recipe does not use the Warrior in complimentary amounts. I have a Warrior/Nugget Black IPA on right now, and it has a strong iced tea component, even though I used 2:1 Nugget:Warrior.

If using Warrior in large amounts for flavor/aroma, please proceed with caution...

Warrior would make a decent flavor/aroma due to its fairly high oil content...I haven't noticed any iced tea flavors from when I've used it as a dry hop, and from the Warrior IPA (Mikkeller's single hop series). I just get a lot of grapefruit from it...similar to cascade but less floral. I say go for it

Back