Cider / Apple wine ?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jimmy51

Reaction score
Hello,
I am a Newbie to wine making and got a Batch ( 5 gal ) of Cider that is clear and I think is ready to be bottled or bulk aged... I have a few question that i am wondering about...

1. The batch when i tasted, tastes like jet fuel? Will this settle down with aging? starting SG 1.083 how long to should u age?
2. I want to sweeten it up? i understand that u need to stabalize and then i can add my sweetener? what is the suggested amount for this (sugar .ect )
3. Should i bulk age or bottle?
Thanks For the Help.....Jimmy

Hello,
I am a Newbie to wine making and got a Batch ( 5 gal ) of Cider that is clear and I think is ready to be bottled or bulk aged... I have a few question that i am wondering about...

1. The batch when i tasted, tastes like jet fuel? Will this settle down with aging? starting SG 1.083 how long to should u age?
2. I want to sweeten it up? i understand that u need to stabalize and then i can add my sweetener? what is the suggested amount for this (sugar .ect )
3. Should i bulk age or bottle?
Thanks For the Help.....Jimmy

What was your finshed SG?

I followed the Recipe i had and let it run its course...Last time i checked it was .998 ?

I followed the Recipe i had and let it run its course...Last time i checked it was .998 ?

11.1% ABV. yep its rocket fuel..which isn't bad if its wine. Mine is creeping up on that.

I would just age it out.

I intend to let mine sit for a few months after I rack it a third time off cranberries going in this weekend for a couple of weeks...Then its off to the basement in bulk.

haha... thats what i was thinking..( smells like fuel ) Color and clarity look good. There is a very tiny smell of apple left, i think .....I would like to add back some apple flavor? And i do like sweeter tasting wine........any suggestions on this. Do u add any additional Campden Tabs After racking several times?? Thanks for the advise, any suggestions are appericated.....Jimmy

haha... thats what i was thinking..( smells like fuel ) Color and clarity look good. There is a very tiny smell of apple left, i think .....I would like to add back some apple flavor? And i do like sweeter tasting wine........any suggestions on this. Do u add any additional Campden Tabs After racking several times?? Thanks for the advise, any suggestions are appericated.....Jimmy

With the yeast I used Wyeast 4148, even after this gets to a FG of say 1.000 or a tad less, I won't know till after I secondary what I'll do for sweetness. Right now it is sweet but potent. I should have a residule sweetness even after the ferm is done. I'll play it by ear after aging as to adding campden. If I get no more fementation after topping off with a bit of apple juice in the third racking to keep away oxidation, I'll bottle it like wine after a few months aging bulk. I don't think my yeast will bottle bomb at 11%. Nice thing is bulking it I can play a bit with it.

Back