Batch sparge w/ rims continuous recirculation?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kydan47

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
My apologies if the question has been asked and answered, but I've searched the threads and did not find anything that specifically answered my question.

I'd like to do full batch sparge(s) with a rims to keep the heat and a pump to continuously recirculate incorporating a grant (so as to prevent compaction).

Has anyone ever set up this type system?

I realize I might get better efficiency with a double sparge, but seems like the recirculation should pull most of the sugars into suspension.

Any thoughts?

Thanks in advance,

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

It sounds like what you're asking about is a no sparge system. Yes, you'll get the sugars into suspension, but you have to account for the sugar that is locked up in the grain after you drain. Just take an example of a 16lb grain bill. Let's say you went 2.15 qts/lb at 8.5 gallons of water. You'll get about 6.5 gallons of runoff. If you get 70% efficiency, the preboil gravity will be about 1.058. The 2 gallons locked in the grain is also at that same gravity.

You can go slightly thicker at 1.75qts/lb, you'll still be able to recirculate and leave a bit of volume for one sparge. You should get at least another 10% efficiency that way.

Thanks Bobby, makes sense.

I have an unlimited HLT so leaving a little and doing a 2nd rinse should be no problem.

Appreciate the quick response!

Dan F.
LAGERS/FOSSILS

Back