Has this ever happened to you

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bosipipes

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Back in October I bought a Nobel trappist ale kit form midwest. It finished out great. I brewed another of the same kit that I bought in Jan. This one was much lighter in color. I think they switched the malt extract. The first kit had golden amber extract and the one I just made was Pislen extract. I sure hope it comes out as good as the first batch. I don't know if they made a mistake of if they substituted. If it was the latter they should have asked first.

Those sneaky bastards!!Do you have a LHBS nearby?I just make a list and get exactly what i need.If I payed more attention to what i put in which brew I'd get good consistency that way:D

Kit's are nice because you can buy one thing, and get everything you need (ingredients wise) to make a beer. I don't trust them farther than I can throw them though. Well, tbh I can probably throw one pretty far, so I don't trust them *even as far as I can throw them*.
My first beer ever was a Brewers Best, American Amber kit. It was a good kit, and the results were an entirely enjoyable beer. I gave some away, everybody thought it was good for a first beer. I was thrilled. My second beer was a Brewers Best English Brown kit. It had the same ingredients as the American Amber. I don't mean mostly the same, I mean exactly the same. It was the same kit, with a different label on it. It was still a very good beer, tasted exactly like the first one. I got another EB kit, thinking that it was just a mislabel. Nope, same thing as the first two.

Possibly some kettle carmelization on the first batch. Do you always stir while boiling? That could account for the SRM difference. :mug:

Possibly some kettle carmelization on the first batch. Do you always stir while boiling? That could account for the SRM difference. :mug:

Yes. I stir often. I, sure it will be fine. It is a very big notice in the color.
I Bought a few clone kits from AHB, a Smithwicks and a S.N. pale ale both turned out great.

Back