This is golden - a REAL Dutch Oven

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
edited. I had too much beer earlier.

On a serious note, that thing looks gigantic and I would think it would need a lot more coals to get and stay warm.

I don't see what the big deal is. A dutch oven has been a real product way before it became synonymous with imitating a Foodsaver bag with farts and comforters.

While a dutch oven is certainly a worthy piece of cookware, the contraption indexed above is definitely not a dutch oven.

Fart jokes aside, a proper dutch oven is a thick-walled cast iron pot employed for stews and braising. Mine was cast by band of Romanian gypsies and consecrated on a pyre of scrap wood from abandoned caravans.

Yeah, I dunno what I'd call that thing, but a dutch oven it ain't.

This is a dutch oven:

BC112422220.jpg

I have had my dutch oven since I was a frickin Tenderfoot.

Still rocks. Still rolls. Still outcooks anything in my camping box. Troop 52 PDX represent.

My favorite dutch oven recipe is to make chili in it, enough that it comes 1/3rd of the way up the pot and once it is ready to eat dump in some homemade cornbread mix on the top and cook until that is done.

Man that is good stuff.

My Le Creuset dutch oven is easily my favorite piece of cookware and I would give up everything else in my kitchen before parting with it.

I don't get the post OP, did you seriously not know what a Dutch Oven was?

My favorite dutch oven recipe is to make chili in it, enough that it comes 1/3rd of the way up the pot and once it is ready to eat dump in some homemade cornbread mix on the top and cook until that is done.

Man that is good stuff.

cornbread mix? pshaw. Masa, mufukkas! MASA! :p

cornbread mix? pshaw. Masa, mufukkas! MASA! :p

Well not store bought mix, most bags of cornmeal have a recipe on the back that is pretty serviceable. You can make that in advance and just add the required water at the camp site.

My Le Creuset dutch oven is easily my favorite piece of cookware and I would give up everything else in my kitchen before parting with it.

I don't get the post OP, did you seriously not know what a Dutch Oven was?

probably a college kid who has only ever heard the fart joke version of it.

Anyway, yeah, you know, eff that overpriced Les Creuset stuff. I wanted a nice heavy dutch oven, but Le Creuset's cost like $150. I looked around, found a Mario Battali version for like $60, and it is pretty much identical to the LC. Heavy as hell, nice drip point matrix on the underside of the lid...I think Amazon was getting rid of it because it was orange. :p

If you have a Marshall's near you, they stock Le Creuset cook wear for about 1/2 price on a pretty regular basis. My Dad is very into French cooking and most of the best meals in my life have come out of one of those dutch ovens.... mouth watering good....mmmmmm

probably a college kid who has only ever heard the fart joke version of it.

Anyway, yeah, you know, eff that overpriced Les Creuset stuff. I wanted a nice heavy dutch oven, but Le Creuset's cost like $150. I looked around, found a Mario Battali version for like $60, and it is pretty much identical to the LC. Heavy as hell, nice drip point matrix on the underside of the lid...I think Amazon was getting rid of it because it was orange. :p
Actually Le Creuset is like $300, I only bought it because it was at TJ Maxx for under $100 :cool:

But yeah, any enameled one will work. I was ready to buy a Lodge one before I spotted that deal, but I do love my Cobalt Blue LC!

I've got a Le Creuset set, i think we got it under $150. The best thing you can make while camping in cobbler. We set it on a bed of coals, add a box of white cake mix, mix with a bottle of 7up and two bags of berries, let sit with the coals for an hour or so....

...damn, now i am going to have to do that soon.

My dutch oven is over 50 years old. IIRC the date on the bottom is 1949 or 50...it is jet black with seasoning, and weighs a ton.

I too attempted to make the no knead bread TWICE in it this weekend, it got so screaming hot that the first loaf became a black brick....I lowered the heat on the oven for batch two, and it was only mildly charred.

Im sure I have seen them before, but its not something that I see everyday. (New hobby?)

I think that this is a classic example of what happens to the ADHD brewn00b while they are awaiting completion of their first batch.
-The beer is in the primary what more can I inquire about? Nothing... Its all about giving it time to do its thing. So my mind now has time to wonder and ponder trivial things that make me laugh. And ironically I land here to post this. :)
I think that I need to take this as a learning experience - dont let the primary stay empty for extended periods. Waiting for brew when you have none is a horrible thing.
Anticipation sucks...
-Me

I've got a Le Creuset set, i think we got it under $150. The best thing you can make while camping in cobbler. We set it on a bed of coals, add a box of white cake mix, mix with a bottle of 7up and two bags of berries, let sit with the coals for an hour or so....

...damn, now i am going to have to do that soon.
Either you are mistaken or you got the best deal ever...how big of a set are we talking?

Here is a paella I made for my mothers birthday in my beloved Le Creuset
IMG_9006.jpg

No we got a steal of a deal. My father had some dealings with some distributors and pretty much gave it to us as a side gift. It had three pieces and the fire holder thing.

My dutch oven is over 50 years old. IIRC the date on the bottom is 1949 or 50...it is jet black with seasoning, and weighs a ton.

I too attempted to make the no knead bread TWICE in it this weekend, it got so screaming hot that the first loaf became a black brick....I lowered the heat on the oven for batch two, and it was only mildly charred.

Hmm never had that happen, I have a cast iron heavy a$$ dutch oven as well. Are you sure your cooking at the right temp?

Hmmm... that reminds me of the restaurant I worked at that had steamers for the crab legs. The brand name was Cleveland. (How come every drunken rambling thread gets so serious! Someone had to steer this back into the gutter:cross:)

Linky to the version of no knead bread we're talking about???

My oldest dutch oven was made in I think somewhere between 1895 and 1905 (I have I think 8?) and I have a **** load of cast iron pans, etc.

REAL cast iron will last a lifetime, fark that enameled or teflon coated crap (For ME - I understand it has it's merits)

Now if only I could get SWMBO to break her teflon addiction (she's trying... "for the bird")

REAL cast iron will last a lifetime, fark that enameled or teflon coated crap (For ME - I understand it has it's merits)
I know what you are saying, but both of those do have their place. All but two pieces of my cookware are either stainless or bare cast iron. However, I do keep a non-stick skillet around because sometimes a delicate fish or egg dish need that extra easy release. These will also last quite a while too if you don't wash them and just wipe them out, or at least wash them gently by hand. Really all my pots get washed by hand anyway and the non-stick one gets stored with a paper plate inside of it to keep it from getting torn up. But when you buy them don't go get an All-clad non-stick or something else in that price range, because you will have replace them ever few years.

As for the enameled it is really great. It is still cast iron, so it retains heat like a bastard and produces fond like a hero, but you can cook acidic wine/tomato based sauces and such in it. There are certain dishes where you don't want a bunch of seasoning getting cooked into it and enameled are great because you can scrub them clean. Any stew or soup I don't really like doing in my bare cast iron because it removes all of the seasoning. Plus if you get a reputable brand like Le Creuset it will last a lifetime as well, even if it doesn't it's guaranteed forever, so you would get a brand new one for free.

I asked for a cast iron dutch oven for christmas last year... I was imagining a beautiful blue le creuset, enamel coated, the whole nine yards.

Hwmbo ended up getting me an ENORMOUS million pound camping dutch oven with legs and the lid holds coals, and it has a special tool to remove the lid. I can't use it either, because of the legs, I can't get it close enough to a heating element to get very hot. I need to dig a fire pit so I can use it at some point. hahahaa

The legs make it great for cooking over an open fire, but ...

I'll never forget the time one of the other patrols melted a cast iron Dutch oven. They were doing a pot roast and had built their fire in between two large rocks. The rocks channeled the wind and it was like a blast furnace!

The legs make it great for cooking over an open fire, but ...

I'll never forget the time one of the other patrols melted a cast iron Dutch oven. They were doing a pot roast and had built their fire in between two large rocks. The rocks channeled the wind and it was like a blast furnace!

That is awesome

melting temperature of 1150 to 1200 °C- that was one hot fire

Back