Milling Flaked Grain???

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

EdWort

Reaction score
Do you mill flaked grains or just toss them in the mash?

I've got a pound of flaked oats and flaked wheat for a Saison today.

I just toss them in the mash, unmilled. I know some guys that say flaked grains will mess up your mill if you run them through. I do not know if they are correct about that, but you do not have to mill flaked grains, so why mess with it?

TL

Works for me. Thanks.

First batch mashing away. Second batch milled and ready. Gonna be a sweaty day today.

Have fun with that back-to-back! Those sound like good beers to brew right now. I'll be a sweaty one for me, too. I'm not brewing, but I'm working the Saint Arnold tour, and it gets hot in that warehouse. Since it's already about 85 outside, I figure will push up against 100 today. The things I do for free beer!

TL

Yeah, so far so good. 30 minutes into a 90 minute boil on my Hefe. My MLT is clean out, the Saison grain is milled, and the HLT is heating up. I'll dough in at 30 minutes left in the boil of the first batch. What a day already!

Yeah, no need to mill flaked grains. Should you try it, they probably won't harm your grain mill, but they might gum it up a little, requiring a thorough cleaning later.

I mill my flaked grains and have found that it helps in efficiency. You don't have to, but you can.

Not sure what kind of mill you have, but I know from personal experience that sending flaked grains through the Barley Crusher is a bad idea. I accidentally tossed the flaked barley in with the rest of the pre-crush grist one day, and so I had no choice but to send it through. About 1/3 of the way through, the slave roller stopped spinning and thus crushing activity came to a halt. After messing with it for a few minutes (I was sure my BC was f*cked), I found that some flakes had gotten stuck between the slave roller and the sheet metal fin that directs grains into the roller gap. It's easily solved by lifting up the whole unit and spinning the slave roller backwards by hand to unstick the jam...but it gets to be a PITA when it keeps happening every 30 seconds.

As such, at least with the BC, I'd advise against it.

Thanks All, I just tossed them in the mash. Got great efficiency Saturday as the O.G. hit 1.063.

Back