Stirplate Score!!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Revvy

Post Hoc Ergo Propter Hoc
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
Someday's it's worth going to work!!!

I work at a large Medical School, and today I got a Corning adjustable speed Stir Plate, a large Erlynmeir Flask and large stir bar...

For Free...Nada...Nothing...Bumpkis!!!:ban:

I've been asking some of the Lab Coordinators of the different research departments to let me know if ever they clean out a lab and come across one-(usually there's so many floating around that they end up sometimes just pitching them, and I swing by the loading dock on occasion to see what's down there....But so far nothing.)

Today I was outside having a cigarette with one of my pals, who is the lab coordinator for one of the research departments, and asked her. She said to come up to her office with her...She took me into her office, reached under the one of the cabinets where they were practically falling out, and handed me a plate, then dug out a stirbar and a flask!

Happy Happy Joy Joy!!!!

:D

bastardo!!! every one here goes through all the work of trying to make a poorly improvised one and you have one handed to you...ugh.

As the academic year winds down, and more labs get cleaned out I may find a few more, especially some than may need something as simple as a new plug put on...Or ones where the heating element is fried, but it still spins...

Sometimes the finicky-ness of grant monies here is wild, some things can't be transfered as property, even to another researcher or department, and have to be thrown out, or donated off campus rather than be transfered in house...And sometimes things that need simple repairs get replaced rather than fixed...There used to be a department here that did just that, repaired research equipment, but that's no longer the case...

That's how I got my 2 year old supped up home computer last year...It wasn't one of our tagged inventory when we were shipping a buch of old ones over to main campus (where they can be resold)..My boss knew I was looking for one, and was going to go down to main campus to buy one, and noticed one of ours wasn't on inventory for some reason and couldn't be transferred, he wiped the harddrive, legally re-loaded windows and photoshop and everything else and gave it to me....I'm eyeing the 30 plus laptops, waiting for the day when we have to replace those with new ones....

Last week on the loading dock on the equipment discard pile was one of those test tube spinner thingys...I contemplated that one for a minute, but it was huge.

Back