mill, effeciency, crazy brewday, first stout

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

mandoman

Reaction score
Just wanted to share my experience from yesterday (sat).

first, the scene

my wife's at work and I (as usual) have the 5, 4, and 1 year olds. A sane person wouldn't brew but I just got my first mill and ,hey.

So I decided to brew in the kitchen and adjoining porch (for propane). Didn't use the stove or anything, just sort of worked out of the kitchen so I could see the girls.

Preheated MLT cooler, milled grain, smacked yeast (since I was making a stout and using irish ale which I don't have stored).

Step mashed, missing step 1 by a few degrees (about 117) tried to add hot water and thinned mash but couldn't bring it up. Oh well.

Step 2 hit on about 154. Total mash about 50 min til starch test 'passed'

Set up my sparge on my steep-a$$ porch steps and it worked well! 3 tier and it allowed me to heat my sparge water (I usually batch sparge from a bucket and lose temp fast)

Ended up sparging 5 gallons and collected about 6.5-7 in my 7.5 gallon pot (yeah! and I didn't boil over!!)

1 oz chinook for 60 min, irish moss.

chilled in the kitchen, pitched at 75 degrees. Was fermenting like crazy in <12 hrs.

9-10 lbs (eyeballed) 2row rahr pale malt
.5 chocolate malt
.5 roasted barley
.5 dark crystal (mmm)
1 lb flaked oats in mash

OG 1.051! My efficiency soared on this one compared to previous (NB milled) AG brews. Chalk one up for the grain mill!!!!

Strained out several pounds of protein gunk so I'm assuming my low step 1 mash was ok.

All in all one of my most successful brews. kids cooperated, my efficiency soared, and the whole ordeal only took about 4 hrs.

Man, makes me wanna do it again today!!!

But, I'm not feelin' that crazy.

Still have to clean some and thinkin' about tending to my other yeasts.

Need to harvest off my primary cake.

Want to post pics so I guess I'll finally upgrade my account.

word

I'm with ya, I've brewed with my 4 kids around. 10, 9, 3, 9 months. Just did that like about 2 weeks ago. Arn't they a great help.

Now I just need the mill.

Latest posts

Back