n00bish Q about possible stuck ferm.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

PseudoChef

Reaction score
Getting right to the point, does gravity drop any lower in secondary?

I began with 1.073 and it's stuck now (no change past 3 days) at 1.020. It tastes great, I think, but I am just curious for the sake of not having bottle bombs when it comes to that time.

Ferm temp was a mean of 65* with WL001. I pitched a 3/4 gal starter of non-decanted yeast.

73-20=53
73/53=72% Attenuation.
Possibly a little low dependant on the yeast.
What is the yeast supposed to do.
What temp did you mash at or was it extract?
Have you tried rousing the yeast?
Racking sometimes does this and causes it to drop a couple of points.

orfy:

White labs lists attenutation at 73-80%, but suggested temp is 68*. I know lower temp will slow the fermentation, but it's been more than two weeks (brewed on 9/02).

It was a mostly mash, at 154 (9 lbs) with 3 lbs extra light DME added 15 minutes left in the boil.

Forgot to mention that I did try to rouse the yeast by swirling the carboy. That was when it was up at 1.022. Only dropped those extra 2 points since then, and stagnant for 3-4 days now.

bird:

Isn't in secondary yet, and that's another reason why I'm asking: to free up my primary for my RIS.

As I said above, been in the primary for 16 days, but no change in the last 3-4.

Just a quick question to go along with this: What is the recommended maximum FG prior to bottling? I've picked up in some other threads that anything below 1.020 should be fine. I bottled my IPA at 1.019 and haven't had any problems.

Back