1-Gallon Brewers UNITE!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
dadshomebrewing said:
hey divr

i think the real answer is to invest in a refractometer

:)

Yup lol
I can't believe I waited so long to buy one because its great!

Been away from the thread for awhile, but I just have a quick question for y'all. It's just about bottling time for my first brew (the stout I posted about a few weeks back) and I'd like to take the usual three hydrometer readings before actually bottling, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I ended up with a tad less than a gallon in the fermentor, so I'm really, really not looking forward to pulling and subsequently discarding three full sample vials of beer for these tests. How many of y'all pull samples at testing time and then return 'em to the rest of the beer when you're done? I'd like to think that I'm one of the more diligent ones when it comes to sanitation, but if it's really a bad idea I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with less finished product this time around.

If you properly clean and sanitize your equipment for testing it shouldn't be a problem, but it's still risky. One thing I do for Hyrometer readings if I think they're done is taking 2 instead of 3. So if I think it's done on Wednesday I'll test it then and Friday and that will tell me if it's done. The Thursday read is largely unnecessary unless it's not done.

hoppyhoppyhippo said:
If you properly clean and sanitize your equipment for testing it shouldn't be a problem, but it's still risky. One thing I do for Hyrometer readings if I think they're done is taking 2 instead of 3. So if I think it's done on Wednesday I'll test it then and Friday and that will tell me if it's done. The Thursday read is largely unnecessary unless it's not done.

Excellent point! 2 readings 2 days apart is perfect if your sure you'd be at final gravity by then

Im still very new to home brewing with my first batch currently fermenting. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some places to order one gallon kits. I know i can scale down a five gallon kit but i would perfer to just order a one gallon kit. Thanks.

Im still very new to home brewing with my first batch currently fermenting. I was wondering if you guys could tell me some places to order one gallon kits. I know i can scale down a five gallon kit but i would perfer to just order a one gallon kit. Thanks.

Northern Brewer and Small Batch Homebrew are 2 that I have been looking at.

http://www.smallbatchhomebrew.com/Beer-Ingredient-Kits_c_8.html

http://www.northernbrewer.com/shop/brewing/recipe-kits/small-batch-beer-recipe-kits

Been away from the thread for awhile, but I just have a quick question for y'all. It's just about bottling time for my first brew (the stout I posted about a few weeks back) and I'd like to take the usual three hydrometer readings before actually bottling, but I'm not sure how to go about it.

I ended up with a tad less than a gallon in the fermentor, so I'm really, really not looking forward to pulling and subsequently discarding three full sample vials of beer for these tests. How many of y'all pull samples at testing time and then return 'em to the rest of the beer when you're done? I'd like to think that I'm one of the more diligent ones when it comes to sanitation, but if it's really a bad idea I suppose I'll just have to suck it up and deal with less finished product this time around.

I brew slightly larger brews 1.75 gallons and I never take FG readings untill I'm ready to bottle. I let my brews ferment at least 3 weeks and by they the are DONE. I sanitize by turkey baster, hydrometer and test tube at bottling time to figure ABV and then return the sample to the bottling bucket. Like you can't see wasting any bier!..:ban:

I bottled your Kona Chocolate Coffee Stout yesterday...the sample tested amazing. My wife really noticed the chocolate...I noticed the coffee more. We both thought it was very good. Can't wait until its done carbing...

Always GREAT to hear someone has used and liked one of my ideas. Do let us know how it tastes in 3 weeks. :mug:

C-Rider said:
I brew slightly larger brews 1.75 gallons and I never take FG readings untill I'm ready to bottle. I let my brews ferment at least 3 weeks and by they the are DONE. I sanitize by turkey baster, hydrometer and test tube at bottling time to figure ABV and then return the sample to the bottling bucket. Like you can't see wasting any bier!..:ban:

Thats a great size to scale from a 5 gallon batch. 2 oz hops fit nicely into a 1.75 smash. 1 gallon batches are great pilot batches for new styles. 3 weeks is my standard primary because its Almost ALWAYS done unless its a biggie and then I wait 4 before I test. Great advice!

hey divr

i think the real answer is to invest in a refractometer

:)
Oddly enough, I own one of these but almost never use it. I find it annoying to convert brix to gravity. So I wash my hydrometer and drop it directly into the fermentor. I take later gravity readings the same way, unless I'm doing something with a lot of fruit pulp in it.

I've never had a problem doing the readings this way, no infections etc. The hydrometer is rinsed in extremely hot water just before it goes in the fermentor though. My fermentor is an old 1 gallon plastic juice jug.:D

Yes, well. I'm a cheapskate. :eek: Plus I didn't realize how much not having the approximate gravity scale would impact using the refractometer.

Just multiply by 4. I guess I just try to be closer and consistent...that's usually fairly easy math and still easier than filling/cooling a hydro sample. (for me)

rawkstar320 said:
Just multiply by 4. I guess I just try to be closer and consistent...that's usually fairly easy math and still easier than filling/cooling a hydro sample. (for me)

Learn something new every day!

This thread just keeps going at light speed.... Good discussions! To slightly hijack to last week, I'm going to be buying pint mason jars and storing specialty grain to mill on brew day (thanks for the suggestions and pics!) I saw a Victorio hand mill (model VKP1012) on amazon for just under $50. This mill received higher reviews than the corona mill... Has anybody used the victorio? Any other recommendations for a similarly price mill for small batches? As always, thanks in advance!

This thread just keeps going at light speed.... Good discussions! To slightly hijack to last week, I'm going to be buying pint mason jars and storing specialty grain to mill on brew day (thanks for the suggestions and pics!) I saw a Victorio hand mill (model VKP1012) on amazon for just under $50. This mill received higher reviews than the corona mill... Has anybody used the victorio? Any other recommendations for a similarly price mill for small batches? As always, thanks in advance!

Check the vendor section. Austin homebrew has there corona mill onsale. And the jars work awesome

thanks... no hurry, i already have my next 5 weeks of brewing planned out, and all the perishables purchased.

i realized today that i've finished DRINKING my first 4 batches of beer.

they must have been better than i thought.

dadshomebrewing said:
thanks... no hurry, i already have my next 5 weeks of brewing planned out, and all the perishables purchased.

i realized today that i've finished DRINKING my first 4 batches of beer.

they must have been better than i thought.

Mine go quicker now too...

I've noticed that as I get better at this... I find it tougher to give away...lol

JollyIsTheRoger said:
I'm using 12 oz bottles with a couple 6.3 oz thrown in. I have three batches to bottle up tomorrow. A Scottish 60/-, an English barleywine, and a ryezenbock. No brewing this week though.

Where did the 6.3 oz come from? That would be great for a barley wine or metheglin

Where did the 6.3 oz come from? That would be great for a barley wine or metheglin

They are champagne bottles that fit crown caps. I got a few from samples at work, but will eventually buy a case or two, but they are pricey. I think we sell them for $30 for 24, but I don't know for sure. I know northern brewer sells them too.

I've got some peach wine in its second week, and tomorrow night I have got to put together a batch of cider.

They are champagne bottles that fit crown caps. I got a few from samples at work, but will eventually buy a case or two, but they are pricey. I think we sell them for $30 for 24, but I don't know for sure. I know northern brewer sells them too.

One day I may have to swing bye and pick up a case

Learn something new every day!

Yep! The actual number is 3.99.......something. But I see no point in going that far because there are so many other factors to be concerned about than whether or not your og is accurate to the ten thousandth.

Don't forget that the refractometer still won't work for final gravity! That math is tougher....so I use it just to know when fermentation is done

Leadgolem said:
I was thinking the same thing, only ordering online. The size would be about right for some of the rocket fuel I make.

+1 also James and Steve from Basic brewing recently did a mead video cast and it looked easy and tasty but I think 6 oz at high octane would be enough for me

rawkstar320 said:
Yep! The actual number is 3.99.......something. But I see no point in going that far because there are so many other factors to be concerned about than whether or not your og is accurate to the ten thousandth.

Don't forget that the refractometer still won't work for final gravity! That math is tougher....so I use it just to know when fermentation is done

Another great point with this hobby is really learning how to make it more fun. You are right. I usually know my basic ABV from Beersmith so that's close enough. Why bother doing the conversion with spreadsheets or formulas because the goal really is "finished or still fermenting" RDWHAHB

+1 also James and Steve from Basic brewing recently did a mead video cast and it looked easy and tasty but I think 6 oz at high octane would be enough for me

Another great point with this hobby is really learning how to make it more fun. You are right. I usually know my basic ABV from Beersmith so that's close enough. Why bother doing the conversion with spreadsheets or formulas because the goal really is "finished or still fermenting" RDWHAHB

Yep, now I brew to have fun brewing....not to brew award winning beer. My goal is to consistently brew beer good enough to buy less beer. (although I love me some sierra Nevada)

If I was going to consistently win awards, my routine and concerns would be greatly different.

So, I just made a kit ready to brew this weekend and realized that my small batches fit perfect in those 1 gallon Vacuum zipper bags.

Why is so much fun to watch a vacuum sealer squeeze the heck out of stuff?
lol

So, I just made a kit ready to brew this weekend and realized that my small batches fit perfect in those 1 gallon Vacuum zipper bags.

Why is so much fun to watch a vacuum sealer squeeze the heck out of stuff?
lol

Because it just is! I use Regular zip locks for my "kits" - works great!

I need to put together some "emergency" kits in case I get snowed in this winter. It would be nice to make a few batches while I can't leave. In fact I think I'll do that this weekend. UH Oh, ideas are flowing now, anyone know how many minerals make it into snow and could I make a beer using only snow for my water?

I need to put together some "emergency" kits in case I get snowed in this winter. It would be nice to make a few batches while I can't leave. In fact I think I'll do that this weekend. UH Oh, ideas are flowing now, anyone know how many minerals make it into snow and could I make a beer using only snow for my water?
It depends on how much dust there was in the air and how long it's been snowing. If your snowed in though, probably close to none in what you can get at.

Also, snow icecream is awesome.

I had three kits made for the winter just in case and yesterday my nursing and secretary staff gave me a 4 pack of brews from smalbatchhomebrew for our office gift exchange.:mug: Great group of people couldn't have a more dedicated group to work with, and fun they love to try my brews. I can brew weekly or every other week for months now!

somewhere last year I think I read a thread about brewing with snow. will try a search later when I get home.

After a long and tiring battle with university finals, I am finally getting back to brewing. My pipeline is dry, I have empty fermenters, and I have a serious hankering to brew something up real quick.

jwalk4 said:
After a long and tiring battle with university finals, I am finally getting back to brewing. My pipeline is dry, I have empty fermenters, and I have a serious hankering to brew something up real quick.

Jwalk, congrats! Now it's time to relax and get brewing..

You guys mentioned the mason jars before... I'm going to go pick some up this weekend. Does the quart jars hold about a pound of grain? I'd like to use it for specialty grains and I buy that in 1 pound increments.

Yes the quart jars hold a pound. I label the jar with a mailing label 2x4. That way I can have multiples open and not worry abiut mixing them up if I had just labeled the lids

Back