Show us your Mead in a photo!!!

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
It is a Cyser, does that count? Before and after filtering!

I lagered this with a bavarian lager yeast and used some local cider and 5lbs orange blossom honey.

It refused to clear and tasted very sulfer.

After filtering it tastes much better. Dry and tart just how I like it

How did you filter it?

It is a Cyser, does that count? Before and after filtering!

I lagered this with a bavarian lager yeast and used some local cider and 5lbs orange blossom honey.

It refused to clear and tasted very sulfer.

After filtering it tastes much better. Dry and tart just how I like it

How did you filter it?

Sparkling mango habanero mead.

That looks and sounds fantastic.

Any chance you could share the recipe. Maybe you already have and its in the database or beer smith cloud. Tell me f. off if you can't be arsed. None of my business.

Sure does look tasty though. After two 1 gallon batches of JAOM I'd like to try something a little more modern.

That looks and sounds fantastic.

Any chance you could share the recipe. Maybe you already have and its in the database or beer smith cloud. Tell me f. off if you can't be arsed. None of my business.

Sure does look tasty though. After two 1 gallon batches of JAOM I'd like to try something a little more modern.

It was a sweet mead made with with orange blossom honey (OG 1.120, FG 1.030). (Roughly 5 gallon batch made with 17lbs honey, 3.75 gallons water, 71b-1122 yeast, and staggered nutrients)

When it was done fermenting, I racked 2.25gallons of it to 7lbs sliced mango in a 3 gallon carboy (I bottled the other 2.75g). After a month, I racked to two, 1 gallon jugs, each with ~8 grams of sliced fresh habanero peppers. They were bottled a few days later.

As for sparkling, it was a happy accident that I won't be able to repeat, and won't be able to share exactly how it happened :) (it wasn't a restarted fermentation in the bottles though)

It was a sweet mead made with with orange blossom honey (OG 1.120, FG 1.030). (Roughly 5 gallon batch made with 17lbs honey, 3.75 gallons water, 71b-1122 yeast, and staggered nutrients)

When it was done fermenting, I racked 2.25gallons of it to 7lbs sliced mango in a 3 gallon carboy (I bottled the other 2.75g). After a month, I racked to two, 1 gallon jugs, each with ~8 grams of sliced fresh habanero peppers. They were bottled a few days later.

As for sparkling, it was a happy accident that I won't be able to repeat, and won't be able to share exactly how it happened :) (it wasn't a restarted fermentation in the bottles though)

Sounds a fair bit beyond my equipment and skill-set. Probably I will look to something more simple. Thanks for sharing your process though. Got me scratching my head now about the carbonation. You gotta have some trade secrets.:D

Blackberry, raspberry, multiberry, and pint noir pyment.

20151010_212339-1.jpg

Here's my contribution so far:

mead-collection.png

From left to right: Apricot Vanilla, Cranberry Apple Spice, traditional BOMM, traditional.

All of them so far have been very tasty, although the BOMM will benefit from a bit more aging.

First mead. Spices were added in primary. The cinnamon is most noticeable. It's 9 months old. I might be moving and had to put it in something less risky. Or I would have continued bulk aging till crystal clarity.

That mead is nice and all, but I can't stop looking at your Griswold collection back there :D

Left to Right and Back to Front.

Back Row
Left - Honey waiting to be Mead.:p
Center - Hibiscus Tea Metheglin - Bulk Conditioning 3 Months to-date
Right - Hibiscus Tea Metheglin - Primary (Just added last Nutrient Batch today)

Front Row
Left - Green Label Bottle - 1st Mead ever - Orange Blossom and Wildflower - 14 Months in Bottle bulk aged 4 months - Aged well at 12 months in bottle real good. Almost gone. :(

Right - Blue Bottle Label - Bakers Honey and Orange Melomel 5 Months in the bottle after 6 months bulk aging. Getting good - Another 4 - 6 months will be awesome. :D

Mead.jpg

BRB melomel clocking in at 15.5%. Stiff pour of the bottling dregs. Texas brush honey, blueberries and raspberries. 9 months in fermenter, slight residual sweetness. Delicious.

View attachment 282840

Just got results back on this one from a local competition. Scored a 42 and won a bronze in the specialty mead category, my highest comp score to date and first mead medal. :mug:

Both the gold and silver were awarded to coffee meads. Might have to look into that next...

Just got results back on this one from a local competition. Scored a 42 and won a bronze in the specialty mead category, my highest comp score to date and first mead medal. :mug:

Both the gold and silver were awarded to coffee meads. Might have to look into that next...

Sounds delicious! Could you share the recipe?

Sounds delicious! Could you share the recipe?

Sure, some details from my notes:

3 lbs Texas brush honey (wildflower), 3 qts water, OG: 1.122

Used SNA, Yeast: 71b

Racked to a bucket after about a month (SG: 1.005), on top of 1 lb blueberries and 0.5 lbs raspberries in a weighted nylon bag

Racked to 1 gal carboy again after 2.5 weeks on fruit (SG: 1.010). Bottled 8 months later, FG: 1.005

Sure, some details from my notes:

3 lbs Texas brush honey (wildflower), 3 qts water, OG: 1.122

Used SNA, Yeast: 71b

Racked to a bucket after about a month (SG: 1.005), on top of 1 lb blueberries and 0.5 lbs raspberries in a weighted nylon bag

Racked to 1 gal carboy again after 2.5 weeks on fruit (SG: 1.010). Bottled 8 months later, FG: 1.005

Thanks, will be trying this one for sure! :mug:

Here is what I got going on now;

From left to right - BOMM - Tropical Honey (12lbs), 4 lbs Orange Honey, 1 lb Buckwheat @ 9 days (secondary)
BOMM - Orange Honey (15lbs) @ 9 days (secondary)
Saison Mead - Orange Honey (15lbs) @ 39 days (secondary)
Saison Mead - Texas Wildflower (15lbs) @ 72 days (secondary) will be bottled in 2 days...

4 batches.jpg

Back