Aeration for the masses.

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

chillHayze

Reaction score
Hey.

In case you haven't figured it out yet, click the text above.

Enjoy.

Last edited by a moderator:
The bubbles getting into the line between the hose and the cane aren't really doing anything for you, Chilly. :)

You'd get the same results with a clamp on there. Your aeration is coming from the long distance fall from the end of the hose into the bucket.

seefresh said:
Dude, that's killer!!

EDIT: Just saw post above, why aren't they doing anything?

Bubbles have to be VERY small to work their way into solution. That's why people use those little "stones" perforated with holes only a few microns in diameter. Big bubbles just gurgle through the liquid and escape.

Sure, they might provide a LITTER aeration, but nothing significant. The splashing from the falling wort is the real trick in Chilly's aeration.

It is my logic that as wort travels through the course of the hose those bubbles are tossed and diffused into it. The visible bubbles at the output of the hose are smaller than those coming in around the seal.

At any rate, it works like a champ.

:off: Walker, why nothing brewing? Need to step it up for the summer drinking season! :mug: :mug: :mug:

chillHayze said:
Walker, why nothing brewing? Need to step it up for the summer drinking season! :mug: :mug: :mug:

My fridge gas about 19 gallons of kegged beer in it right now (15 of that kegged in the last 8 days.) I'm pretty well stocked for the near term.

I'm going to have to wait and see how much of my beer gets consumed at the beer fest after party this weekend before I can gauge when I need to get the next batch rolling.

Cool. I have a similar low-tech method...I sanitize the beaters from an old hand mixer, plug it in, and take it to the brew pot for a couple minutes before draining the pot into the carboy (also with lots of splashing)

Have just invested in a stone to put "proper" oxygen into the brew, but I can't imagine that will be nearly as much fun.

Walker-san said:
Bubbles have to be VERY small to work their way into solution. That's why people use those little "stones" perforated with holes only a few microns in diameter. Big bubbles just gurgle through the liquid and escape.

Sure, they might provide a LITTER aeration, but nothing significant. The splashing from the falling wort is the real trick in Chilly's aeration.

Its actually just a factor of surface area, time and pressure. Lots of smaller bubbles have more surface area than one big bubble and move slower though the liquid and thus go into solution more quickly. So, its not that big bubbles don't work, its that smaller bubbles work better.

JimC said:
Its actually just a factor of surface area, time and pressure. Lots of smaller bubbles have more surface area than one big bubble and move slower though the liquid and thus go into solution more quickly. So, its not that big bubbles don't work, its that smaller bubbles work better.

Agreed. And with big bubbles going through a couple feet of hose, the impact will be negligible.

-walker

Back