Who's growing hops in the San Joaquin Valley?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

bigbeergeek

Reaction score
Hey all, I've got a bunch of hops going into the ground this spring. Some are second year plants coming out of their containers (magnum, sterling, nugget, casacde, zeus/tomahawk/columbus) and others are first year rhizomes (centennial, chinook, horizon). I know some of my fellow San Joaquin brewers are growing some of these 8 varieties. I'm curious who's growing what, and what seems to fare well in this climate. I'll try to post some updates about my 2nd year crop to help other would-be Valley hop growers. :mug:

Thanks!

(ignore the following search terms: San Joaquin hop growing varieties visalia fresno bakersfield central valley california)

no update to this post? I"m learning you need to make a fake title to get people to read threads... Planting 2 cascade rhizomes in the back but it only gets light from 1 to 6pm. dug it down 19 inches so the soil isnt compact. hopfully it does good. i have mint in the back that does good but only gets like 2 hours sun. Think im gonna train horizontal across my cinderblock wall, then maybe get some for the other side...... any thoughts?

p.s. bitches. im located in fresno, ca. jk...lol... man im serious but this is funny right now... i love the hops cousin.

I have 3 Cascades and 3 Magnums that have shoots all over. then I have one Willamette that I am not sure about. It only get direct sun from noon to sunset so I am not sure. But I am sure I will find out here in the next few weeks.

The OP speaks!!! Hahaha...

Here's the results from last year: I pulled the sterling and magnum; both plants fared so poorly that I didn't want to waste any more water and time on them. The nugget outproduced the other varieties (but I think that might be because it's transplanted crown was the largest when it went into the ground), followed by zeus, chinook, centennial and cascade, which might gave suffered due to the fact the it gets less sunshine than the other mounds.

This season I trimmed all the first shoots of each plant to the ground and limited all the mound to the three best bines. The chinook is exploding feet ahead of the others -- I'm not sure why. Cascade looks like it's going to be weak again this year, and all the bines are at least 5 ft long. Last year's harvest was a measly (dry) half pound. This year I hope to fill some 5 gallon buckets! :mug:

no update to this post? I"m learning you need to make a fake title to get people to read threads... Planting 2 cascade rhizomes in the back but it only gets light from 1 to 6pm. dug it down 19 inches so the soil isnt compact. hopfully it does good. i have mint in the back that does good but only gets like 2 hours sun. Think im gonna train horizontal across my cinderblock wall, then maybe get some for the other side...... any thoughts?

I dug my hop hills a good 3-4 feet and filled the hole with compost and fertilizer. Hops produce huge rhizomes and will thrive in rich soil.

In my experience, mint does great everywhere -- even in full shade on the north side of my house!

I'm not hop growing expert but it is my understanding that hops can grow horizontal but they will fight it and won't produce as much as if they were allowed to grow vertically. I say grow what you can where you can.

Do you have any rizomes you would be willing to share. I live in Hanford and would love to get a few more varieties going in the front yard.

Steve

Why thank you kind sir. We should get together for a brew day and BBQ. I want to try a wee heavy triple or something that will need to sit for about 4 to 6 months before it is drinkable.

Know this is a bit old thread now but thought I'd ring in. I'm over in Porterville and have Willamette's that are thriving like crazy. They're planted against my north facing fence and trained horizontally across it. They receive full sun pretty much all day. I do keep a healthy layer of mulch over the root area at all times however.

Know this is a bit old thread now but thought I'd ring in. I'm over in Porterville and have Willamette's that are thriving like crazy. They're planted against my north facing fence and trained horizontally across it. They receive full sun pretty much all day. I do keep a healthy layer of mulch over the root area at all times however.

That's great for many, but a bummer for me -- I've never cared for Willamette.

Here are some pics of mine. The wire on the top is 17' up and they are going over the top. Thease are 1st year except for 1.Each planter is a different varity.
2012-07-07_170334hops.jpg

2012-07-07_170435hops.jpg

2012-07-07_170426hops.jpg

Holy cow, those are first year as in rhizomes planted this spring? Looks like you'll be having a nice harvest.

Golding,Mt Hood, Sterling, Willamette,Cascades, Northren Brewer, Columbus, Ceneennial, Nugget, Chinook, Horizon and room for 1 more varity. Any good sugestions for the last plot? Jammatt my Uncle used to live in Porterville.

I have no idea what to plant. Perhaps Magnum? Nice clean bittering hop with a bit of spice. As for Porterville, well it's Porterville :D If you ever go about cutting rhizomes to give out, send a shout my way, I'd be more than happy to take a few off your hands for some cash.

My columbus plant is doing the best in my Visalia hop hard... plus I love that hop. That's the one I would double up on, personally.

Anyone know who grows on Rd 56 in Reedley? He puts up some tall trellises every year and I always mean to stop by on the way to my in laws. If anyone's got any rhizomes they'd like to pass on I'm in Visalia and have been wanting to get some going.

Bummed to hear that the Magnums didn't fair well, I use a lot of Magnum.

I know this is an old thread but thought I'd put up a post in case anyone in the area is still watching it ...

I'm getting ready to retire in a couple months. I have a couple acres of good farmland near Fresno and I'm thinking about growing hops on part of it. Naturally, will start with one row of about 40 plants and see how it goes over the next few years.

Great comments here on varieties that have done well. Thanks!

Do any of you guys grow hops commercially?
Or are you just raising them for your own consumption?
When do you typically plant your rhizomes?
Drip irrigiation?

I'd appreciate any input from those who have had some first hand experience at growing hops in this climate.

Latest posts

Back