First AG brew done!! Citra SMaSH 90

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

FatherJack

Reaction score
Hey all, thought I would just give the run downs on my first AG batch.

I made this:

Citra SMaSH

5kg Maris Otter

10g 12.3 Citra - 60 minutes

14g - 30 minutes

14g - 15 minutes

14g - 5 minutes

14g - 60 minute steep (got this idea from Orfy! Thanks!)

14g - dry hop, 7 days

Yeast: Safale S-04

Target SG: 1.048
IBUs: 42.3

Everything went about as well as it could on the first run through. My initial temp was 148F so I added a bit more water. I made it to 154 and held that temp range for 40+ minutes. My finishing temp was 148/49 after 60 minutes.

I sparged at 176-ish for 10 minutes. I only did a single sparge since it was my first time.

I measured my volume and...I WAS WAY OFF my measuring stick. Since I work in liters, I notched my mash paddle up to 28 liters. By my estimates, I was at 32 liters.

My pre-boil gravity reading was 1.026. I thought for a bit and decided to change the recipe from Citra SMaSH to Citra SMaSH 90 and proceeded with a 90 minute boil. I threw in about a pound of light DME to help make up for the extra volume.

I made my first hop addition, waited an hour and followed my normal schedule from 30 minutes on. I know this will up the IBUs slightly, but it should be OK.

My actual SG?

Ready for this?

1.046 at 24 liters.

Overall I'm super happy!!:mug:

Nice...how long was the total brew? What did you think of the aroma of the citra when you opened the package? Whole leaf or pellet?

The total day took about 6 hours (and I still have a nice mess to pick up after dinner). I had no idea nearly 7 gallons of water would take so long to come to a rolling boil!

I loved the aroma. Unfortunately, I only have pellets, but hey, they sure smell nice. I have a feeling this will turn out to be a nice summer beer, very crisp and refreshing.

There's noting unfortunate about having pellets.

That seems like a really long steep at flameout. I frequently do a 15min steep and I think it adds a lot of hop depth, but I worry with such a long one that you're losing hop flavor from your boil additions and replacing it with the steep. Commercial breweries don't seem to do more than about a 30 min whirlpool after flameout.

Sounds like it'll be a tasty brew though. I love Citra. Too bad it's mostly gone until next fall.

I'm curious to see how this turns out. I recently made an IPA with a lot of late Citra additions. It's not bad but very peachy. It is still a little young so maybe it will mellow out.

I thought a 60 min steep was quite long too, but I was interested to see how it would taste. I'm looking forward to this brew on many levels.

Update:

I took this out of the primary yesterday and me and a friend sampled it.

AMAZING.

I was worried about the bittering aspects of Citra but it came out really, really smooth. I'm wondering if the 90 minute boil had an affect on it?

I can't wait to enjoy this on a warm day chilled and carbed up.

Back