can i salvage this?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

rod

beer -just brew it
Reaction score
i made the following recipe but for some reason i thought my sugar was in 1 kilo bags instead of 2 kilos.
when my hydrometer stood up and fell over i realized i had added 13 lbs of sugar instead of 7
i diluted with water to get a starting gravity of 1.092 and 9.0 gallons instead of the 6 gallons per the recipe.
it has fermented out to .990 but is very dry and lacking in flavour.
i bottled 3 gallons so far from a small carboy and the rest is still in the secondary.
any suggestions to add some flavour at this point?
make the recipe without sugar and blend the two?
Exotica Wine Recipe​
Credits to: Leigh Schmidt of Escanaba, Michigan
This is a recipe I found in a magazine, altered a bit and tried it, very nice. If you get the time try it, you will not be sorry. For approx. 6 US gallons.
Ingredients
  • 5 1/4 lbs. Pineapple
  • 5 1/2 lbs. Mango
  • 4 Lbs. Bananas simmered in 2.5 qts. of water for 30 minutes then mashed and strained
  • 16 oz. White grape concentrate
  • 7 lbs. of Sugar
  • 2 1/2 lbs. of Honey
  • 8 tsp. Acid Blend
  • 6 tsp. Yeast Nutrient
  • 3 tsp. Pectic Enzyme
  • 1 1/2 tsp. Tannin
  • 1/2 tsp. Potassium Metabisulphite dissolved in 4 oz. water
  • 1 pkg. Champagne Yeast
Cut the fruit into small pieces and place into a straining bag inside a 7 gallon primary fermenter and mash well. Add 1 gallon of hot water, stir and mash again to set color. Add another gallon of cool water and all ingredients except the yeast. Add enough water to bring SG reading to 1.085-1.090, cover and let sit 24 hrs,
After 24 hours add the yeast. It should take around 16-24 hours for it to start fermenting. Stir daily. When SG reaches 1.020 remove the bag and rack to a clean carboy. Watch SG when it reaches 1.000 rack again to start clearing. After about 3-4 weeks when it has ceased fermenting or reaches 0.990 SG rack again and top up. After about another month rack, add finings if you want or need add 1/2 tsp. Potassium Metabisulphite, top up and let sit for 3 months or so. At this point if all is clear you can either bottle and age or bulk age, your preference. Highly suggest you let this wine age at least 6 months

I suggest making a banana wine, ferment it out, and blend it. It won't take long, and will give great body. Maybe 2 gallons for the 6 gallons you have left. Then you'll have 8 gallons of a medium bodied wine with little flavor. If the body is already ok, but the flavor is the issue, you can skip this step.

Then, if you want a sweetened wine:
Stabilize with campden and potassium sorbate and let sit for a week or so, to ensure fermentation is finished.

Take a s.g. Then, siphon off a bit into several glasses and try several things- add some pineapple juice to one, white grape, mango, banana, etc to another, etc. When you get a flavor you like, (say the pineapple juice), siphon off a bigger quantity and add a little at a time until you get the right flavor. Measure the s.g. of your sample and add the pineapple juice or whatever to get to that level. Go a bit lighter than you think, because it will become a bit sweeter in the bottle. It will not be terribly sweet, just off-dry, depending on what you use to add flavor to it. You could even try buying some "pine-orange-banana" juice at the store, if that sounds good to you. After this, let it sit in carboys for another month or so, and check the s.g. just to make sure fermentation is completely done. Then, you can bottle.

If you want an unsweetened wine:
Either make the banana wine as above and ferment to dryness and blend, or do a "mini batch" of the same wine you've done. You don't have to even add much sugar, just enough to get your s.g. to 1.080 or so. Or better yet, don't add any sugar, just more fruit. Let that ferment out and blend it with the wine you've got made already. Make say, 3 gallons, and add it to the other wine.

Both ways require some work and more time. But, I think it would be worth it to salvage this batch. It sounds like a really great wine!

thanks lorena - i started this back in november and would hate to waste it.
i have already sorbated /campdened the carboy of wine but was holding off bottling until i could fix the flavour issue.
the juice sounds the easiest but i am stubborn(read stupid) enough to try the mini batch of the same recipe and blend as i think that will give me a better chance at the original recipes flavour.
thanks for saving my batch again!

Since it's already sorbated, I think you're on the right track to make the same batch again and blend it. I would seriously consider adding little or no sugar (at least initially), but bumping up the fruit, about 50% more. Then, add some sugar (if needed) to bring the s.g. to 1.080. That would make up for the thinness and flavorlessness you have by making 1/3 more wine than you were anticipating before. I'd also suggest cotes de blanc yeast this time, as that will preserve some of the fruitiness you may be lacking now.

Then you can sweeten or not after that. This wine might be best off-dry so you might have to experiment with that. It sounds really good!

Back