Looking for Mexican Beer Recipe

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JHWK

Reaction score
AlthoughI am new to brewing, I am looking for an extract mexican beer recipe. Does anyone have anything like this?

Thanks!

I have a couple at home... I will have to get back to you after work tonight... I guess I should be working now.

Any particular brand you are looking for?

Bump.

My wife really wants me to make her a Corona clone. SWMBO, must be obeyed !

The Homebrewers Companion says that this might be close. (Page 332, Dorks Torque Mexican Crown Lager)

5 gallon batch

5.5lbs of American Pale Lager Malt
1.5lbs flaked corn/maize (Not the Kellogs type)

1/4 oz Perle hops (boiling)
1/3 oz Hallertauer (boiling)
0.25 Hallertauer (aroma)

OG: 1.040-1.044
FG: 1.006-1.010

BUs 15
Color 2-3

Mash schedule
122 for 30 minutes
148 to 152 for 60 minutes
mash out at 165F

PIlsner lager yeast

Sparge out with 3.5 to 4 gallons. Add makeup water to the brewpot to get 6 gallons. Boil off about 3/4 of a gallon.

He suggests removing the hot break. Ferment at 50-55F Lager at 40-45F for 3 to 4 weeks.

Does this sound right ?

bump.

Still looking for a mexican extract recipe.

Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks a lot

I did a Brewer's Best Mexican Cerveza XX style beer kit recently. I was not terribly impressed with the final result. The color was more of a darker, Modelo. The taste was unremarkable, very low IBU's. It's probably the worst beer I've made in 8 attempts as far as taste goes. It just doesn't have much punch. I think the way to go is to try a lager like Corona or Dos Equis, but I like the ease of the ales.

NM68657 said:
I did a Brewer's Best Mexican Cerveza XX style beer kit recently. I was not terribly impressed with the final result. The color was more of a darker, Modelo. The taste was unremarkable, very low IBU's. It's probably the worst beer I've made in 8 attempts as far as taste goes. It just doesn't have much punch. I think the way to go is to try a lager like Corona or Dos Equis, but I like the ease of the ales.

My guess would be that your Brewer's Best Mexican Cerveza XX came out tasting exactly like it was designed to taste, to put t somewhat politely.

Charlie Papazian has a recipe in one of his books. I think you pretty much have to go all grain and use corn to duplicate it.

PM me if you want the recipe.

brewman ! said:
Charlie Papazian has a recipe in one of his books. I think you pretty much have to go all grain and use corn to duplicate it.

PM me if you want the recipe.

the clone brews book has a XX recipe as well

The actual product is pretty cheap, why spend your time on something like that? Not trying to be rude, just curious. To me it's like trying to duplicate Bud or Coors. If I wanted that I would just buy it...that is unless your like me and out in the middle of nowhere. The wife tends to love Dos Equis and they don't carry it out here so she wanted me brew her one. I told her I'd rather quit brewing:D

dan

First of all, Corona or any other import beer is not cheap where I live. $15 per 12 plus tax. Doesn't sound like much, but throw a big party with an open bar and gets expensive in a hurry.

Second, you can say "why brew ?" for any beer. If I charged my time at $50 an hour for brewing, none of this makes economic sense.

Fortunately, I get tired of working and brewing is a hobby that I use to recharge so I can work better.

Back to the economics. Mexican beers are inexpensive to brew. 2 row malt sells for 40 cents a pound where I live. I bought 55 pounds of corn for $12. These beers don't have much for hopiness. I can probably brew 6 gallons of the stuff for $10. 6 gallons of Corona would make a great party on a hot summer day.

yeah, those kits are a joke though. I think with mexican style brews it is all grain or nothing. May want to look into a half DME (extra lite pale malt probably), half grain if you don't have the set up. Good luck. Wow, I am getting ideas now. My have to try this out for my next one!

Negra Modelo is tasty, I think there's a recipe of it posted up here somewhere - the color is dark but flavor is not, might be a nice option for SWMBO. I know my wife likes the Modelo Especial better than Corona, but never would've known that if I didn't force her to try it out...

Negra Modelo is tasty, I think there's a recipe of it posted up here somewhere - the color is dark but flavor is not, might be a nice option for SWMBO. I know my wife likes the Modelo Especial better than Corona, but never would've known that if I didn't force her to try it out...

Can you post this recipe if you find it? Negro Modelo clone. In extract if possible as I'm not yet ready to tackle all grain... :mug:

I made a Vienna-Saaz SMaSH that reminded me of Negro Modelo. Austrians emigrated to Mexico in the 19th Century. So it makes sense that the two would be related.

Here's what I would do for a clone (that will taste better than the original).

95% Vienna
5% CaraPils
Saaz hops at 60,15, and flameout. Aim for a 35 IBU, and 1.055 OG.
I'd go with wlp830 for its clean finish and good attenuation. It will accentuate the hops nicely.
It will need at least 8 weeks to lager, the Saaz is very spicy at first and may need extra time to mellow.

I'm not sure how this is done as an extract recipe, can one get vienna malt extract?

Back