What are you drinking now?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Brewing an extract brown and drinking a Mickeys, don't laugh, it's Fine Malt liquor. Says so right on the label.

image-2097725849.jpg

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
As far as Im concerned, aint a damn thing wrong with a ice cold Mickeys

I don't know what it is, for being so damned cheap it goes down smooth and tastes better then BMC.

The542 said:
8.25" of rain in 3.5 hours on 7/28. Had to boil with the lid on, didn't condense down. Post boil 1.070, final 1.008 and dry hopped with four oz of Amarillo...it's delicious!

Any DMS issues? At least I think it's DMS that the boil removes...

JTTX80 said:
I don't know what it is, for being so damned cheap it goes down smooth and tastes better then BMC.

Haha! I used to drink that stuff in college! Still would, but I can't find it round these parts. Are they in 12 oz bottles now? When we smashed Mickeys in college, they came in little keg bottles. They were pretty cool!

tyzippers said:
Haha! I used to drink that stuff in college! Still would, but I can't find it round these parts. Are they in 12 oz bottles now? When we smashed Mickeys in college, they came in little keg bottles. They were pretty cool!

Haha they still make them in the little keg bottles. It's $4.50 for six of them or I can buy two 40's for $4.

Any DMS issues? At least I think it's DMS that the boil removes...

No, no pils malt, MO was 85% of the grain bill. Has excellent body flavor and dried out real nice with a built up washed San Diego super yeast (090)
Still wish we'd been able to make the BW work, but the weather shifted drastically against us along with time left in the day.

My Chocolate Vanilla Bourbon Oaked Imperial Stout that I have dubbed Black Hole. This was supposed to sit for a while longer before I touched it, but I've decided to enter it in a couple local comps this fall to see if it's worth entering in NHC next year. Just making sure it's still good. The oak is faint if present at all, the bourbon and vanilla are subtle but there. The chocolate is quite prominent, it's got a medium-full body, strong bitterness but no real hop character and there's just a touch of alcohol warmth. The only thing I am worried about is it coming off as too thin even with a medium-full body. We shall see.

20130904_185400.jpg

The542 said:
No, no pils malt, MO was 85% of the grain bill. Has excellent body flavor and dried out real nice with a built up washed San Diego super yeast (090)
Still wish we'd been able to make the BW work, but the weather shifted drastically against us along with time left in the day.

Glad to hear you could salvage the brew day. I've had the weather shift on me in the middle of the brew. That's one of the reasons I went electric. Now I'm stuck in a windowless basement when I brew. It's better than brewing in 29F snowy weather.

Dave37 said:
Do you exclusively drink your RIS out of solos? I dont even know what that beer looks like.

I'd say lately, but certainly not exclusively.

Mickey's big mouths. Nothin wrong with that. Yes, college memories...

Glad to hear you could salvage the brew day. I've had the weather shift on me in the middle of the brew. That's one of the reasons I went electric. Now I'm stuck in a windowless basement when I brew. It's better than brewing in 29F snowy weather.

It is prerequisite with my brewing homies that we can smoke while brewing. I'll be out in the elements for my brewing career!

Yes we were smoking stogies under umbrellas that day!

null-122.jpg

The542 said:
It is prerequisite with my brewing homies that we can smoke while brewing. I'll be out in the elements for my brewing career!

Yes we were smoking stogies under umbrellas that day!

Nice! That's what I miss. Maybe I'll buy a longer cable and run it outside so I can brew outside in the summer. Still not doing that in the winter. Winters suck in NWPA.

Remmy said:
I'd say lately, but certainly not exclusively.

Haha i was just thinkin that when i saw the last one. Never saw it in any other glass. Thought it was funny. How big is it ABV wise?

nukebrewer said:
My Chocolate Vanilla Bourbon Oaked Imperial Stout that I have dubbed Black Hole. This was supposed to sit for a while longer before I touched it, but I've decided to enter it in a couple local comps this fall to see if it's worth entering in NHC next year. Just making sure it's still good. The oak is faint if present at all, the bourbon and vanilla are subtle but there. The chocolate is quite prominent, it's got a medium-full body, strong bitterness but no real hop character and there's just a touch of alcohol warmth. The only thing I am worried about is it coming off as too thin even with a medium-full body. We shall see.

Nice looking beer/ gorgeous pic

Haha i was just thinkin that when i saw the last one. Never saw it in any other glass. Thought it was funny. How big is it ABV wise?

Higher 6's. Didn't finish quite where i expected it to. :confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused::confused:

Legacy of Vienna IPA. The more I drink this the more I am reminded of Gandhi-bot. Not that I think this is anywhere near Gandhi's level, but it's like a faint whisper of Gandhi in the hop aroma. Remmy, I should get some of this to you to see if you agree.

20130904_195800.jpg

Night at the Hop.. My modus hoperandi clone.. Well no longer a clone really. Lightened the color up with less crystal malt, and mashed a little lower for a drier beer. The only thing I kept was the hop profile.

Phenomenally hoppy and delightful beer.. mine is the hazy Fook in the evolution glass.

ForumRunner_20130904_202609.jpg

nukebrewer said:
Legacy of Vienna IPA. The more I drink this the more I am reminded of Gandhi-bot. Not that I think this is anywhere near Gandhi's level, but it's like a faint whisper of Gandhi in the hop aroma. Remmy, I should get some of this to you to see if you agree.

Please do. Please.

Having some jalapeno cucumber mead and bottling some and orange cinnamon for a mead competion. Still not sure ill enter yet. The mead judges are very snooty.

I would imagine most mead judges know little to nothing about it and just end up judging mead because that's what they get assigned. Even in larger comps that are lots of uncertified judges, not that being BJCP certified isn't an indicator of having a particularly well trained palate.

bottlebomber said:
I've had a similar thing happen. It's the best feeling when the (of course attractive female) says in a hushed voice "sir, it's coming back as insufficient funds" as you try to buy something that costs less than $10.

Heh heh! That's usually how it goes. That time, though, it was a middle aged middle eastern guy who was judging me for my declined card. ;)

I would imagine most mead judges know little to nothing about it and just end up judging mead because that's what they got assigned. Even in larger comps that are lots of uncertified judges, not that being BJCP certified isn't an indicator of having a particularly well trained palate.

Last time I entered some, they said they didnt taste a certian additive which I did. Last batch of jalapeno/cucumber, one judge said too much jalapeno and the other said too much cucumber :drunk:. I now realize that its all opinionated and its luck of the draw. This is a mead only competition so it might be better but I do not follow BJCP guidlines. I make what I like. Its only 5 bucks a entry so ot isn't a wallet buster

Fuzzymittenbrewing said:
Agreed. Having some 5 month aged Thai Black Rice Wine.......smooth as silk and taken on great sake flavor characteristics.

Looks good. Did you use all black rice or did you mix it with some jasmine or glutinous rice?

Back