Black Pearl Porter - Taste Issue

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

sacrifice

Supporting Member
HBT Supporter
Reaction score
I brewed a Black Pearl Porter on the 18th of Sept, and bottled it on the 10th of Oct. Bottles have been sitting in a cool area of the garage with the rest of my brews, so the location is fine. Hit all my numbers when brewing, and when racking and bottling, the taste was quite good. My notes when bottling were - A bit of alcohol, and some sweetness.

I put a bottle in the fridge yesterday to chill it, and tasted it last night. It was undrinkable. The only way I can describe the taste is to say it is like boiling the darkest grain you can find, making a thick tea, and then drinking it.

The beer is not astringent, or bitter, just very harsh with the dark grain taste, and absolutely no positive value at this time.

I thought that with the initial positive taste, a month in the bottle would improve the taste, not make it bad. However, I have never brewed this dark (black) of a beer, so am wondering if this is just a time issue, and another few months of rest will mellow this out, or, since I need more bottles........

For positive news - I tasted my SWMBO Slayer last night brewed late Sept - nice :rockin:

Ingredients:
------------
Amount Item
8.00 lb Pale Malt (2 Row) US (2.0 SRM)
2.00 lb Munich Malt - 10L (10.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Carafa II (412.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Caramel Malt - 40L (Briess) (40.0 SRM)
1.00 lb Oats, Flaked (1.0 SRM)
0.25 lb Special B Malt (180.0 SRM)
1.00 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (70 min)
0.75 oz Fuggles [4.50 %] (5 min)
1.00 tsp Irish Moss (Boil 10.0 min)
1.00 cup Malto-Dextrine (Boil 20.0 min)
0.25 lb Milk Sugar (Lactose) (0.0 SRM)
1 Pkgs London Ale (Wyeast Labs #1028)

Back