New Replacement for March Pump

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

browjaso62

Reaction score
Has anyone bought one of these new Chugger pumps yet?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=220615363398

USA Pumps has them on ebay for $149 with a Stainless Steel head! They claim it is a replacement/upgrade for March 809 pumps. There is also going to be a stainless head in 3 weeks that can mount on a March pump for $49.

It seems almost too good to be true since a stainless March pump costs almost 400 bucks.

Jason

It does look interesting. Of course 6 GPM flow rate is pretty slow. I guess I am used the LG pumps that have much higher flow.

Also I wonder how loud it is compared to the March which sounds like a jet engine.

It does look interesting. Of course 6 GPM flow rate is pretty slow.

Not really slow for homebrewing. What's the point of a stainless head( i guess no stripped threads) with a plastic impeller? And it's more than a march pump.

6GPM at zero head would be about half that at 3 feet of head. No way I am waiting 4-5 minutes to pump 12 gallons of liquid.

Very interesting. Im looking at getting a pump soon and this may be it.

ghart999...why would you say that the flow would drop by half at 3'? It has a maximum head of 14'. To me that means at 3', it would pump roughly 4.75gpm (Im sure its not linear, but its still more than 3gpm).

Head: Type:Stainless Steel
GPM: 6gpm
Head: 14ft
Suction/Discharger: ½” NPT
Voltage: 115VAC
Temp: 250F

Note: impeller is made of Polysulfone plastic; O-ring is Silicon; thrust washer is Teflon

200F under high pressure as this pump is able to handle high pressure applications. Hence, 200F at high pressure = 200+ at low pressure. We are pumping with almost zero pressure.

There are many threads on the forum discussing how this pump can handle well into boiling temps with no problem. Many people use this pump for boiling wort and love it.

200F under high pressure as this pump is able to handle high pressure applications. Hence, 200F at high pressure = 200+ at low pressure. We are pumping with almost zero pressure.

There are many threads on the forum discussing how this pump can handle well into boiling temps with no problem. Many people use this pump for boiling wort and love it.

Are you a schill for little giant?

GHart is right.

Of course, its more expensive than a march pump and I can think of better ways to save 2min on brew days.

I agree saving time is not a big deal. I would however put emphasis on the noise level between the pumps and whether the pump will die if run dry by accident. The pump shown above is unknown so the noise level is not known. If comparable to the March 809, it is loud. Also the March will seize if run dry. Not sure about the new one here.

Again the LG can run dry and is extremely quite.

I would be very curious to see some feedback from the new one listed above. It could be another solid alternative to the mediocre March 809.

This is a ridiculous specification. The pressure is created by the pump itself. If you're pumping against gravity or restricting flow to control the rate you can easily hit the pump's max pressure.

Not saying the pump doesn't work with boiling wort, but it is outside the spec.

This pumps temp rating of 200F is based on a pressure of 300psi IIRC. So you are not hitting the pumps max pressure my pumping against gravity. Nowhere near it.

Yes they are fine. Again as I stated many people on the forum use these pumps, and have for years, without any problems with boiling wort. Do a search on March alternative and you will find many lengthly discussions about these pumps.

Yes they are fine. Again as I stated many people on the forum use these pumps, and have for years, without any problems with boiling wort. Do a search on March alternative and you will find many lengthly discussions about these pumps.

Are these pumps available with stainless steel heads? I can't seem to find them, so I suspect not.

I don't think they have SS heads. But why would you need one?

The MT version has a larger motor (1/12 HP vs 1/25 HP) which allows for significantly higher flow rate. Whether that is important or not is up to you. If your brewing 5-10 gallons batches I would say no. I do 10 gallons batches all the time and would not want any higher flow for worry about crushing my silicon tubes.

I have one myself and will be adding a second one. It runs great and runs so quite.

For me, the benefit of the LG pump is the ease in priming. I just never had good luck with my March (yes, I researched the proper way to prime it) and most times I had to get a siphon going and then turn it on. Too much babysitting IMHO, especially if you change tubing.

I really dont think the extra 12 degrees for the short period of time it will be in there is gonna harm it i mean heck i have read on here that others are using the march pumps with the Polypropylene head which march only rates to 190. I have no worries about using it to move boiling liquids.

This is a ridiculous specification. The pressure is created by the pump itself. If you're pumping against gravity or restricting flow to control the rate you can easily hit the pump's max pressure.

Not saying the pump doesn't work with boiling wort, but it is outside the spec.

This isn't correct. These pumps are designed to be used in pressurized closed systems (among other things). The line pressures can sometimes be as high as 200 psi. The working pressures in the specs are referring to max working line pressures, not what the pump itself is capable of producing. The small mag drive pumps only put out about 5-10 psi at best IIRC. Both the polypropylene and Ryton heads can handle the near boiling temps no problem at the pressures we typically run.

I really dont think the extra 12 degrees for the short period of time it will be in there is gonna harm it i mean heck i have read on here that others are using the march pumps with the Polypropylene head which march only rates to 190. I have no worries about using it to move boiling liquids.

+1 You could run 24/7 at the higher temp without problems. Nothing to worry about. I've yet to see anyone complain that their March or LG pump failed due to running hot wort through them. It would have been reported by now.

Are the pump head and impeller in the March pumps "food grade"?

GT

Probably, but I would not eat one. They would be difficult to chew and might cause some discomfort passing through the digestive tract. :D

Probably, but I would not eat one. They would be difficult to chew and might cause some discomfort passing through the digestive tract. :D

Cute;)

How bout this. Is it safe to pump my boiling hot wort through this pump. Ferment it and then drink it.

GT

Are the pump head and impeller in the March pumps "food grade"?

GT

Per the manual, "Applications include home
heating systems, solar heating systems, heat recovery systems and
recirculating water in domestic and commercial hot water tanks."

If they are recirculating the water in your house, I hope it is food grade!

The MoreBeer website specifically indicates they are made of food safe material: http://morebeer.com/view_product/17311/103556/March_High_Temperature_Brewing_Pump

Personally, I was hoping to find a March\Little Giant\Iwaki Submersible\Inline pump which had similar specs as the March 809HS. It would be great not to worry about splashes\the pump getting wet!

If you are building/using a brew rig, just build a metal plate the covers the pump from water contact. Numerous people in the DIY section have done this. I am in the middle of finishing my brew rig and will do the same.

Cute;)

How bout this. Is it safe to pump my boiling hot wort through this pump. Ferment it and then drink it.

GT

Yes, IMO it's perfectly safe, at least up to the fermenting part and that depends entirely on your brewing skill. The pump won't hurt you.

Personally, I was hoping to find a March\Little Giant\Iwaki Submersible\Inline pump which had similar specs as the March 809HS. It would be great not to worry about splashes\the pump getting wet!

I use my pump without any special cover or protection and have had no problems. You'd really have to douse the pump with a substantial amount of water to do it any harm. Mine has received some minor splashes without doing any damage. I do use it with a GFCI outlet for safety reasons, but I've never been much concerned about shorting it out due to splashing.

Wow...so much for finding out if anyones used this pump yet or not ;)

The point here is that for $150 you can get a stainless head pump. Very easy to clean, no need to worry about temp, no stripped plastic threads. No debate about whether its food safe at a specific temp. So I spend an extra 5 or 10 minutes on brew day because its slower....who cares (if you actually loose time...for me Im using gravity right now so I suspect it may be faster).

Wow...so much for finding out if anyones used this pump yet or not ;)

My thought exactly:). I am working on gathering parts for my Brutus Clone. I want to have as much stainless as possible (easy cleaning and it is just plain cool). The $400 stainless march pump is kind of cost prohibitive and it too has a non-stainless impller. For a few dollars more than a plastic march pump this seems like a great alternative. I already have one 809 but I was told by the Chugger pump guys that they will have a replacement head for that in about three weeks ($49) so I don't have to buy two whole new pumps to get them both stainless.

I have looked at the Little Giant pump. It is a nice pump too, but the odd angles the inlet and outlet are don't work very well with the way I have designed my plumbing.

I have looked at the Little Giant pump. It is a nice pump too, but the odd angles the inlet and outlet are don't work very well with the way I have designed my plumbing.

See I am the opposite I hate the way the march pumps have the inlet and outlet going in opposite directions. I much prefer them both point straight up.

But to each his own.

Getting back to the topic of this thread, i just got my chugger pump the other day. I will put it to the test in the next couple days and post the results.

Latest posts

Back