First AG - planned -

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HempelNet

Reaction score
I would like to attempt to do my first "All Grain" soon. I will start with a 5 gallon batch but would love to get some suggestions on a recipe I should use. Anyone suggest a sort of first timer / fool-proof recipe that I could try?

As for the method I believe I am going with one of these to get my feet wet.

Easy Partial Mash Brewing (by) Deathbrewer
All-Grain Brewing with Extract Brewing Equipment (by) DRoyLenz

** Wife would like me to add no extremely bitter beers and cream ales will be sought after. :) As for me anything smooth full bodied will work as I can drink almost anything.

Thanks..

Make what you'd like! What style do you want to make? No one style is harder than any other, unless you're talking German lagers with decoction mashing or otherwise step mashing.

Just about any beer made with extract can easily be made into an AG batch. If your wife wants a cream ale, give her a cream ale! (I have a good cream ale recipe in my recipe pull-down).

If you like Porters and Stouts they are very forgiving. They will hide a lot of mistakes I did a stout for my fist AG and it turned out great

I would suggest a simple pale ale of normal gravity. I don't have an exact recipe, but stick to something with a simple grain bill, and a regular single infusion mash.

Avoid large percentages of rye/wheat/oats/etc that can gum up the mash and cause difficulties. I did a hefe for my first all grain, and it is not something I would recommend. That beer turned out poorly to say the least.

Edworts Haus Pale was my first and it was delicious! Although if she isn't fond of hops, perhaps a nice hefe would be a good idea. Just make sure to find a single infusion recipe to start out.

If you like Porters and Stouts they are very forgiving. They will hide a lot of mistakes I did a stout for my fist AG and it turned out great

Here, here! My first AG was a stout...and it was meant to be a partial mash. The proportions were all off what the recipe called for, but it still turned out great (and even stout-like!).

find a recipe that sounds good and do it! who cares what everyone else thinks, make what you like to drink :))
i made edwort's haus pale (thanks ed) for my first ag and it was easy as pie.

since you want to keep it simple, i'd stay away from wheatbeers or belgian strong ales or anything that needs protein rests, decoctions, or step mashes. using a dry yeast will make life alot easier too, less chance for infection and you don't really have to plan a starter. just boil up 2 cups of water, let it cool, then add your dry yeast to rehydrate. 20-30 min later it's ready to be pitched :rockin:

Haha, my first two brews ever was the same stout in a PM recipe and an AG recipe. Never did just extract. So far, only tasted my PM oatmeal stout and it's pretty awesome. Probably a B beer.

since you can drink anything and your wife would prefer a cream ale then I wouold brew a cream ale. It would be a fun experience for both of you.

Most helpful would be the "commercial" (not BMC) beer that you both love. Then look for a clone in the recipe section or at least one in the same style. Your local pub is a great place to do research, as well!:mug:

A light blond beer might be right for you both. While a dark beer would cover up mistakes, you may not learn as much because of it. And those mistakes are typically either sanitation or fermenting at too high a temp, IMHO.

Rich

Back