Trouble?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Milesteg

Reaction score
I'm on about my 12th extract brew and am massing my gear for all grain. Im currently using a bucket for my primary and a carboy for my secondary. With the last two brews after I have re-racked to the secondary there has been a strange white film on the top of it. At first I thought that it might have been the sun light because of the season change I hadn't noticed that the sun was hitting it in the morning. Then I figured the light couldn't have been that much of a factor and it must have been my sanitation procedures. I found out that I was using a cleanser and not a sanitizer. I bought an iodine based sanitizer and have been using that . Now with my current brew the same thing happened in the secondary but worse now it looks like there's a layer of white mold on the top. I have a couple of questions do you think that it really is mold and if it is, is it even worth bottling? Secondly what can I do to prevent this in the future? I want to have a solid procedure before I go to all grain. Any tips or thoughts would be a big help thanks!

Back