Dogfish Head makes Chicha Beer

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah. I don't see that one flying off the shelves.

I don't care how long they boil it. I can't even bring myself to drink from a soda bottle my son has gotten hold of. Too much backwash and I know what goes into his mouth.

Too bad it didn't turn out well. My BA is in anthro and would love to try this at some point. If you read the full NYT article it also looks like DR. McGovern has a book coming out "Uncorking the Past" Definitely adding that to my Christmas list....

ETA: Just looked the book up on Amazon and he's using my avatar as the cover.

Yeah. I don't see that one flying off the shelves.

I don't care how long they boil it. I can't even bring myself to drink from a soda bottle my son has gotten hold of. Too much backwash and I know what goes into his mouth.

*imitates whiney teenage girl voice*

But this is Sam Caligone's backwash, and he's so dreamy.

LOL

*imitates whiney teenage girl voice*

But this is Sam Caligone's backwash, and he's so dreamy.

LOL

HAHAHA!!! Nice one Revvy, gotta love it. I dunno tho, its one of those beers thats a little weird making me want to taste it!

This is out there, even for me. Still I have nothing but the utmost respect for Sam as he is willing to try anything.

I love most everything Dogfishhead sells and champions. I have enjoyed getting people jazzed about my favorite DFH beer: raison d'etre. I even like Sam's extreme brewing book and use it as a ready reference.

But chicha is where I draw the line. I don't spit in my own beer, and I expect other people to not spit in my beer either. Call me small minded, but at least it's my own mind.

Oh, I also won't drink the coffee from the 'rare and precious' beans that are eaten, digested, and pooped out by cat-like animals in some god-awful part of the world. Blech.

Oh, I also won't drink the coffee from the 'rare and precious' beans that are eaten, digested, and pooped out by cat-like animals in some god-awful part of the world. Blech.

I feel ya on not wanting Sam's spit in your beer but, not drinking the Kopi Luwak is just blasphemous.

I had this on tap when I visited the brewpub last Saturday. I come home and go on HBT and saw this thread. I read what he had on tap before I went there but in no way did I know that chewing corn and laying it on the table would be involved in the brew process!! That being said the beer was great! Nice light strawberry color and a good balance of spices. It wasn't overly sweet either. It was served in a snifter glass.

Dude, seriously? If I had a chance I would drink that stuff in a heart beat!!!!! Just gotta find some/ have money....

I might be more inclined to try this if it weren't a bunch of dudes spitting up the corn cakes for the brew...........now if it were a bunch of hot women like some playmates or something, well...that might be a different story.

I had this on tap when I visited the brewpub last Saturday. I come home and go on HBT and saw this thread. I read what he had on tap before I went there but in no way did I know that chewing corn and laying it on the table would be involved in the brew process!! That being said the beer was great! Nice light strawberry color and a good balance of spices. It wasn't overly sweet either. It was served in a snifter glass.

Well it's been 5 days and you're still alive, so that's a good sign. :D

...now if it were a bunch of hot women like some playmates or something, well...that might be a different story.

Are you kidding? We know nothing pathogenic can exist in beer, but no one said anything about herpes. ;)

I'd try it. Spit has the same enzymes as Barley malts, Link [Wikipedia] They are just making a malt free beer. Has Dogfish Head ever let you down before?

I'd try it. Spit has the same enzymes as Barley malts, Link [Wikipedia] They are just making a malt free beer. Has Dogfish Head ever let you down before?

Ummm yes, actually. Not fond at all of most of their beers. But, nothing so bad that I would refuse.

Until now, just on principal alone.

While an undergrad, I helped a friend with his PhD research excavating an archaeological site near Alca, Peru. I learned a touch of Quechua and drank quite a bit Chicha de jora. Never got sick from that nor eating the guinea pig.

While an undergrad, I helped a friend with his PhD research excavating an archaeological site near Alca, Peru. I learned a touch of Quechua and drank quite a bit Chicha de jora. Never got sick from that nor eating the guinea pig.

using a guinea pig as domestic animal and food source is so damn smart. I can't exactly keep a pig at the house but I could have a couple guinea pigs. Unfortunately my wife won't even let me raise rabbits for slaughter I don't think I could sell her on guinea pigs.

using a guinea pig as domestic animal and food source is so damn smart. I can't exactly keep a pig at the house but I could have a couple guinea pigs. Unfortunately my wife won't even let me raise rabbits for slaughter I don't think I could sell her on guinea pigs.

Do guinea pigs taste like pork, or chicken? :D

Back