Kegging for Dummies

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Bru

Reaction score
I want to start kegging but don't know where to start - is it as simple as filling up the keg and attaching the CO2 bottle or is there more to it ?
What equipment do I need ?

I just started kegging a few months ago. This is the kit that I bought. I transfer my beer from my secondary to my clean/sanitized keg. Put the lid on. I hit it with 35 psi of co2 and put in the fridge. I hit it with 35 psi of co2 twice a day for 3-5 days. I do not leave it attached like others do. The beer absorbs the CO2. I then hit it with 5-10 psi when the flow gets low. I am on my third keg and this method has worked great for me. I am sure there are more scientific or more detailed ways of doing. But this is my way and it works.

I learnt a lot by watching Chris Knight's videos on YouTube...

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hC7MDb0IuLs]YouTube - Kegging 1 of 4[/ame]

Regarding conditioning - is it quicker when you keg ? Obviously there is no sugar carbonation to wait for but I assume there is still a conditioning period during which the beer improves - how long normally ?

Yes, you still need to properly age the beer. How long depends on the brew (style and abv). I usually keg after 3-4 weeks, then age for another week or two before carbing and sampling. Just because you can carb it in five minutes time, doesn't mean it'll be as good a week after brewing, than it will be in six.

Yes, you still need to properly age the beer. How long depends on the brew (style and abv). I usually keg after 3-4 weeks, then age for another week or two before carbing and sampling. Just because you can carb it in five minutes time, doesn't mean it'll be as good a week after brewing, than it will be in six.

No, but green carbonated beer is still better than green flat beer! :mug:

Kegging is not hard, but I found it is useful to read up on temp, line length and diameter, and all that. Otherwise, your first kegging experience will consist of poor pours and foam.

Check out the difference in Ball lock and pin lock corneys.

Back