Bugs..

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

HoppyDaze

Reaction score
I have some bugs only on one of my hop plants. My Willamette is about nine feet tall now and I noticed yesterday when I got home from work that the leafs on the top were covered with bugs. They were small (obviously) and black. Their wings were as long as their bodies and they were easily knocked off the leaves by shaking. As a fly fisherman...these bugs look just like what I would call a midge. Also, there were two ladybugs nearby which Im sure is a good thing and most likely related to the other bugs...Im wondering if I should be concerned or not?

I don't have pics right now but maybe later I can post some.

Thanks!

There are some leaves on the lower portion of the plant that have been chewed on ...but these are no where near the bugs. They don't appear to be aphids after looking at what aphids look like on google, but they congregating near the newer growth which is aphid like behavior...

Unless you see sign of them munching your plants leave them alone. There are too many benificial insects to risk responding to every unknown on a whim.

Ladybugs are a good sign to an extent, IMO. Lots of ladybugs frequently means there is a buffet keeping them interested. Is that good, or bad? You decide for yourself. However, I wouldn't want to rick killing off the benificials considering how ineffective many of the off the shelf product are toward the damaging bugs.

Ain't growing hops fuuuuuun?

Unless you see sign of them munching your plants leave them alone. There are too many benificial insects to risk responding to every unknown on a whim.

Ladybugs are a good sign to an extent, IMO. Lots of ladybugs frequently means there is a buffet keeping them interested. Is that good, or bad? You decide for yourself. However, I wouldn't want to rick killing off the benificials considering how ineffective many of the off the shelf product are toward the damaging bugs.

Ain't growing hops fuuuuuun?

Yeah, Im really not too concerned about it. And unless I see drastic changes to the plant Im just going to let them do what they do...

I just found it a little strange that I only see them on one of the five plants that I have

Maybe box elder bugs? I have them every year around this time, they love the maple seeds and they were all over my hops last year, they didn't hurt anything. If the plant looks healthy I'd probably just leave them alone.

Yeah, Im really not too concerned about it. And unless I see drastic changes to the plant Im just going to let them do what they do...

I just found it a little strange that I only see them on one of the five plants that I have

Inspect your plants closely one day. Turn a lot of leaves and look at the bines. Then get the hose and sprinkle the leaves lightly. You'll be awestruck by the amount of bugs that scatter out of the plants that you never saw on close inspection. :)

Maybe box elder bugs? I have them every year around this time, they love the maple seeds and they were all over my hops last year, they didn't hurt anything. If the plant looks healthy I'd probably just leave them alone.

Box elder bugs are huge in comparison to these critters. But, I do have box elder bugs all over my house and plants

Box elder bugs are huge in comparison to these critters. But, I do have box elder bugs all over my house and plants

Do you have a Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)? or a box elder?

golden_raintree.jpg

These things produce a type of algea on their bark that supports hundreds to thousand of those Box Elder bugs. I had one of those trees. Loved the tree, hated the bugs. I'd find those danged things EVERYWHERE and no amount of sprays, fumicides, tactical personal nuclear RPG's would get rid of them. I'd have to get rid of the tree to get rid of the bugs.

Do you have a Golden Rain Tree (Koelreuteria paniculata)? or a box elder?

golden_raintree.jpg

These things produce a type of algea on their bark that supports hundreds to thousand of those Box Elder bugs. I had one of those trees. Loved the tree, hated the bugs. I'd find those danged things EVERYWHERE and no amount of sprays, fumicides, tactical personal nuclear RPG's would get rid of them. I'd have to get rid of the tree to get rid of the bugs.

cameradump041rv9.jpg

cameradump039eq0.jpg

Here are a couple pics that show a small portion of my back yard. I have no idea what kind of trees I have aside from that japanese maple and the big maples in the background. Apparently we have something that they like though. good thing they do no damage to the plants or house

Good looking maple! I have killed 3 of those expansive bastards.

yeah. The BE bugs are at worst a nuisance bug. We finally gave up and moved after too many nights of having them crawl over us in our sleep. That's just creepy.

Turned the house into a rent house and teh tennants have effectively killed every living plant on the property. Bugs no more!

FSV-
You so have aphids, guy.
You need to kill them before they get you. Although no damage now, you'll be pissed in Aug.
Let me guess, if you turn the leaf over do you find some small white dots(actually mites)?
Spray them now!
Here is a post I just put up I believe yesterday. As of today, no bugs!:D

TastyBrew.com | Forum | Already Spraying

Pic-look at the bottom of the pic. See the black bug with wings? Not cool.
http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/hop_aphid.jpg

*Spray NOW!!!!!*

Pic-look at the bottom of the pic. See the black bug with wings? Not cool. http://image.examiner.com/images/blog/wysiwyg/image/hop_aphid.jpg
*Spray NOW!!!!!*

Too hard to tell from the pic but it looks like;

Minute Pirate bug - Google Image Search

Point is, it is benificial as it is predatory against Mites and Aphids.

Natural Enemies Gallery: Minute pirate bugs--UC IPM

"Adults and nymphs feed on insect eggs and small insects such as psyllids, thrips, mites, aphids, whiteflies, and small caterpillars."

So, if you are jumping after the sprayer at first sign of these dudes then you are killing off a friend. A little research does go a long way before you resort to insectal genocide.

those aren't even close to what the bugs I have look like...guy
:D :D :D :D You're awesome....

I'm glad those bugs you got are different, hopefully yours will help fight off pests. I hope all works out for ya:rockin:
BTW, how's Portland's brewery scene. Great places to go down there. I've been meaning to hit the Max Light Rail from PDX. (sorry OP for the hijack)

GMB-
you are very right on that aspect. I just wish I had those bugs in the pic, if you're saying they feed on aphids/mites, so they would help take care of my pests. Spray is no bueno, but no hop is a bigger no bueno;)

There is too much good beer around here to keep track of; homebrew supplies are pretty easy to come by. It is a very convenient place to live for a home brewer. Its also nice for those who just like to go to the brewery for a beer and a burger...

Back