fermenting question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

LSDracula

Reaction score
I am make a pale ale extract kit. My airlock has stopped bubbling but It still has pressure. My final gravity reading (taken with a wine theif) is 1.020. However, according to the pale ale recipe I used final gravity should be 1.010. I had planned on bottling tomorrow which will be 3 days from when I took the gravity reading. So if I take another gravity reading tomorrow and it's still 1.020 will the beer be ok to bottle. I want to avoid gushers or bottle bombs.
Also, is it normal for a final gravity reading to be different than what is described in the instructions.

What was the original recipe and the OG? What yeast did you use. When did you start this recipe.

I would not bottle yet. It sounds like its not done yet. But your information will help.

A stable gravity is the best indicator, but you might try swirling( not aerating) to rouse the yeast. Then if your gravity is stable when you test it, you're ready FG or not.

Back