NuWave cooktop for brewing?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Whippy

Reaction score
Hello!

Does anyone here use the Nuwave induction cook top, that is on the infomercials, for stove top brewing?

https://www.nuwavepic.com/

I still actually have no desire to brew outside on the propane burner, but do have problems with stove top brewing. I have damaged an element once and have trouble lifting the full kettle to and from the stove.

I feel that with this portable cook top, I could brew on the floor and eliminate both of these problems. I could also use the temperature settings to help with the mash.

My only concern is that this thing may not stand up to the weight of a batch of beer with grains.

If anyone else has used this and can confirm that it is strong enough to handle beer, I want to order one as soon as I can.

thanks!

1300 watts is pretty whimpy. What's your boil size?

^^This^^

When we got our stove we selected the pro model with a 3000 watt 12 inch burner so I could still brew in the kitchen. Although I am happy with it I don't think anything less would be sufficient. From mash/sparge temperatures for a boil of 7.5-8 gallons I usually wait about 20 minutes for the boil to get going. I dont set the power below 8 during the boil.

Ahh, I see what you mean! My current coil/conduction stove is 2100w and is barely worthy. My boil size is typically around 5.0 - 5.3 gal starting off, then I top up with sparge wort later in the boil to bring the volume up.

I think I will pass on the idea, thanks. It looks like I am going to need to create my own electric brewing system eventually, if I want to remain indoors.

Thanks for pointing that out, you two!

I use two portable units, one for my mash tun and one for my hot liquor tank. They work great for this purpose. I boil outside with propane.

The total recommended weight of a pot filled with liquid atop the NuWave PIC is roughtly 50 lbs. The tempered glass surface will hold 50 lbs safely when the pot diameter is 10". The holding weight depends on the pot size. The holding weight is approximately proportional to the contact area of pot to PIC.

I came into this same predicament and purchased the BOGO set of these to test. I did a small test of 1 gal water, and it started to boil in about 20 mins. I have a flat surface stove, and the burner I use is the double burner right now. However, I have to keep it on a setting of 8-HI to keep the boil going on 4ish gallons. My concern with using my stovetop for each batch, is that it'll really put a beating on those elements, esp since it was a bright orange color the last time when I was finished, and took at least 30 minutes to cool back down.

The PIC from NuWave is roughly 12" in diameter, but I'm waiting on a new/better pot to use. The one I got with my 5 gal kit has a flimsy bottom that caused it to rock wildly on the stove, so I bought a better one. it has a small indentation on the bottom, so it doesn't seem to fully rest against the burner.

When I do my next batch, I plan to really put this PIC unit to the test and see how it does. My only other option is Propane and burner outside, which I'm not too fond of doing right now.

Latest posts

Back