corn sugar in kit?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

woopig

Reaction score
Newbie question here, just want to make sure I don't mess something up as this is one I'm especially looking forward to.

Ordered Waldo Lake Amber kit from Northern Brewer. As with all of their kits, it specifically says on the site that you need to order priming sugar separately; so I did so. I have ordered many kits from them, and this is always the case.

In this kit, however, I have two sugar packages: one small one that says "priming sugar", and a one pound package of "corn sugar." The priming is obviously the one I added to the kit, but what is the other one for? It's mentioned nowhere in the directions (except on the kit inventory list), so I'm assuming it's priming sugar and the instructions to order separately were a mistake.

That's the obvious answer, but I want to make sure I'm not overlooking something stupid.

Thanks

Priming sugar generally comes in a 5 ounce package, which is about 3/4 of a cup.

A one pound package of corn sugar is part of the ingredients. You can add the extract as directed, and just add the corn sugar near the end of the boil. See directions, and take a look at item #6.

I'll be damned. I read those instructions three times, guess I just skipped the end of that sentence when it started out with a hop addition. Thanks for your help, and for not calling me an idiot (or for at least not typing it out).

I'll be damned. I read those instructions three times, guess I just skipped the end of that sentence when it started out with a hop addition. Thanks for your help, and for not calling me an idiot (or for at least not typing it out).

I think the instructions about the corn sugar are pretty well hidden- I was just looking for it at the end of the boil, that's how I spotted it.

Northern Brewer is "famous" for it's great instructions, so I read it pretty carefully to see where the corn sugar went in. I'd put it in at the end of the boil, too, so I looked there first.

I think the instructions about the corn sugar are pretty well hidden- I was just looking for it at the end of the boil, that's how I spotted it.

Northern Brewer is "famous" for it's great instructions, so I read it pretty carefully to see where the corn sugar went in. I'd put it in at the end of the boil, too, so I looked there first.

Can't get nothing past those pasty lovers :mug:
I usually lay out my NB or Midwest kits in their proper steps to make sure I have all the ingredients... when I do make an extract batch.

Back