Fill level too high?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jethin

Reaction score
I'm on day three of my first hard cider. I have lots of bubbling but no foam to speak of. However, I'm afraid I filled my carboy too high with juice. When I first bottled there was about an inch of headroom between the juice and the stopper. That's now down to about 1/2 an inch. Also, the bubbles breaking on the surface are causing some drops of condensation on the bottom of the stopper.

So what should i do here, uncork an use a sterile turkey baster to remove some juice or let it ride until I get cider (or foam) in the airlock?

Thanks for your help. This site/community has been invaluable during this process.

2 comments (assuming by 'bottling' you meant fitting a stopper with airlock to your fermentation vessel): first- opening it while fermentation is going strong isn't a huge problem- i wouldn't go crazy opening it all the time but it's ok to do, second, when in a little bit of doubt leave it alone (this does not apply to obvious and serious problems like suspected contamination or a crack in the glass). if it blows out through the airlock then you should clean it out of course, to avoid contamination, but i'd wait and see. also it is usually foam that blows out, not liquid from a mysterious increase in volume. also-also it is normal not to have foam, depending on juice and yeast, some foam some don't. third (of two comments) (fifth actually) what you suggest with the baster is also fine and will give you a preview taste of your half-fermented cider, and then you can start to learn how the flavor profile changes as it ferments/ages, which is what you might want to focus on once you have the basic procedure down, sort of level 2.

<insert newb disclaimer>

Blow-off tube? take the cap of the airlock off, put a hose into the tube that comes up and stick the other end in a container of water. If it foams up, the foam goes into the container and your brew never sees oxygen.

Thanks for the quick reply. I was thinking about doing an emergency baster intervention before heading to work but I think I'll hold off for now. I suppose my main concern is that the drops of condensation falling from the bung might contaminate my cider, though I'm not at all sure how this might happen.

Good to know that uncorking isn't the end of the world.

You have a bung with an airlock on it, right? With some water in the airlock?

If so, you still may want to use a sanitized baster and remove some of the must. (Save it in a sanitized jar in the fridge, and you can put it back when fermentation slows down). If you don't have an airlock, and it's a sealed bung, it will exploded while you're at work.

Back