flavor/aroma hops in an oatmeal stout?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

JLem

Reaction score
I know that most recipes for oatmeal stouts call for a single bittering addition and that too much hop flavor and aroma would be outside the style, but I was thinking a small charge of some British hops at 15 min and flameout would be interesting to try (like 1/4-1/2 oz).

Does anyone have experience with doing this? Would you recommend it? (note: I am not necessarily trying to hit the style, but am more interested in whether this is worth trying from a drinking enjoyment perspective)

A small addition of Goldings or whatever certainly would be complimentary, but you can certainly be more aggressive if you want. Rogue Shakespeare shows just how good an oatmeal stout with a bunch of cascades can be.

Thanks. I ended up adding 0.25 oz of a Challenger/EKG mix at both 15 min and flameout. This was for a 3.5 gallon batch.

It was also my first AG batch - a successful (by the numbers anyways) utilization of "my" no sparge, partial stove-top boil method.

Back