Wild Fermentation

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

CheaperPlease

Reaction score
This is my first All Grain brew and only my second brwing in my life so i dont know if this is normal or abnormal, I had no way of taking out the Trub so there was atleast 2 1/2 inches of sediment in the bottom of my carboy. I added one vial of Trappist Ale yeast and after 24 hours there is only 1 inch of sediment, the rest is flying around in the brew and it looks like a submurged fountian, That normal?

CheaperPlease said:
This is my first All Grain brew and only my second brwing in my life so i dont know if this is normal or abnormal, I had no way of taking out the Trub so there was atleast 2 1/2 inches of sediment in the bottom of my carboy. I added one vial of Trappist Ale yeast and after 24 hours there is only 1 inch of sediment, the rest is flying around in the brew and it looks like a submurged fountian, That normal?

Yep... the CO2 and heat produced by the yeast will pick up the trub and swirl it around like crazy... totally normal and nothing to worry about... congrats on the first all grain, and on your second brew!!!

:mug:
mikey

GREAT!! it looks good, smells good, everything i wanted... one more question, will this lighten up some before this finishes because its really dark right now and I was going for a Tripel... I used Pilsen, Aromatic and Carapils with some light belgian candi and i dont understand where it got the really brown color it has. Atleast i can be sure my dark beers will be just that, i got this one dark and didnt even mean to.

Part of the reason it is dark it the amount of ale you are looking through. It will look much lighter in a glass. The sludge isn't helping either.

Latest posts

Back