First hefeweizen batch...what should I mash at?

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

h22lude

Reaction score
I just bought a round cooler and turned it into a mash tun (was doing BIAB before). I'm doing a half batch hefe recipe to test out both the tun and the recipe.

2 lbs 2-Row
1.5 lbs Wheat malt
.38 lbs Flaked Oats
.5 oz Cluster @ 60
.25 oz Cluster @ 10
WLP300 Hefeweizen Ale yeast

What should my mash temp be for this?

What would be a good temp to ferment this at? The normal lower 60s range? My basement is at 57 right now which I think is a pretty good temp.

Side note: I went into my LHBS saying I wasn't a hefe close to UFO and this is the recipe he gave me.

With my hefeweizen I started with a ferulic acid rest at 110F for 20 minutes to bring out more of the banana/clove phenolic. Then I raised the mash temperature to 152F for 60 minutes with a mash out at 168F for 10 minutes. I used WPL 320 (American Hefeweizen) and I fermented the primary at 62F, which took longer. When I saw the fermentation airlock slow down, I swirled the yeast to get them back into suspension which helped. The total fermentation time took around 7 days. The Hefe turned out really nice.

Isn't 110F a little low? I've always heard 120-122F. Here is a quote from another site and another poster:

"Hefeweizen is one place where the protein rest is very useful. If you are familiar with German Hefe, you know that there are two sub-styles of hefe. I will label them according to the leading producers : Schneiderwiesse and Erdinger. The former is characterized by pronounced notes of clove and banana. The latter has some distinctly citrus overtones. I have found that a long protein rest, say 30 minutes, at 128-130 F will produce a more Scheiderweisse-like Hefe, that is more of the banana-clove flavors. A shorter rest, 20 minutes at 122 F produces the Erdinger style with less banana-clove and more citrus. I usually use Wyeast Weihanstephaner Hefe yeast for both."

110 degrees is a ferulic acid rest. 122 is a protein rest. Two different rests for different objectives.

Isn't 110F a little low? I've always heard 120-122F. Here is a quote from another site and another poster:

"Hefeweizen is one place where the protein rest is very useful. If you are familiar with German Hefe, you know that there are two sub-styles of hefe. I will label them according to the leading producers : Schneiderwiesse and Erdinger. The former is characterized by pronounced notes of clove and banana. The latter has some distinctly citrus overtones. I have found that a long protein rest, say 30 minutes, at 128-130 F will produce a more Scheiderweisse-like Hefe, that is more of the banana-clove flavors. A shorter rest, 20 minutes at 122 F produces the Erdinger style with less banana-clove and more citrus. I usually use Wyeast Weihanstephaner Hefe yeast for both."

I brewed a Hef today--- single infusion at 150F, WLP029 Kolsch yeast, ferment at 64F. Bam!

My favorite hefeweizen was a single decoction with an infusion at the end, 59ºC/138ºF - 64ºC/147ºF - 69ºC/156ºF, and 20ºC/68ºF ferment all the way through. This was basically EdWort's Hefeweizen recipe; tasting notes consisted of one word: "Great."

944play said:
My favorite hefeweizen was a single decoction with an infusion at the end, 59ºC/138ºF - 64ºC/147ºF - 69ºC/156ºF, and 20ºC/68ºF ferment all the way through. This was basically EdWort's Hefeweizen recipe; tasting notes consisted of one word: "Great."

How long did you hold each stage for?

If I did a rest at 110 and then brought it up to 152 and then 168, would I start off with less strike water?

What should my mash temp be for this?

What would be a good temp to ferment this at? The normal lower 60s range? My basement is at 57 right now which I think is a pretty good temp.

You could also just add ~3% melanoidin malt to simulate the decoction and just do a single infusion mash at 153ish. Get's you pretty darn close to deco and VERY simple. Of course decos are awesome and easy, just take more time.

Your 57 ambient should be great - I like low 60's beer temp. This yeast works quickly...usually mostly done in 2 days. Once activity slows you can bring the temp up to help finish if necessary.

...and technically, a hefe is traditionally at least 50% wheat, but your recipe looks great.

TyTanium said:
You could also just add ~3% melanoidin malt to simulate the decoction and just do a single infusion mash at 153ish. Get's you pretty darn close to deco and VERY simple. Of course decos are awesome and easy, just take more time.

Your 57 ambient should be great - I like low 60's beer temp. This yeast works quickly...usually mostly done in 2 days. Once activity slows you can bring the temp up to help finish if necessary.

...and technically, a hefe is traditionally at least 50% wheat, but your recipe looks great.

I'll have to check out the video on here. I'm sure it is easy, I just haven't done one and haven't seen it done so i have no clue how to do it lol

I'll have to check out the video on here. I'm sure it is easy, I just haven't done one and haven't seen it done so i have no clue how to do it lol

Kaiser's video on YouTube makes it very simple. Personally, I skip the extra time and add melanoidin malt to a single infusion and have been very pleased with the results.

I just mashed my first Weise a couple days ago at 153, for 90 minutes. I thought about multi-step, but I figured I'd keep it simple the first time around. There is enough to worry about with stuck sparge, etc. I did miss my OG by several points though. I think it came out to about 70% efficiency.

I'm using Wyeast Weihenstephan with a 1.5L starter. After 4 hours the CO2 production was going nuts, and 24 hours later it had blown out the airlock!

--Jimbot

How long did you hold each stage for?

There's a lot of ramp/stir/etc. time not reflected here. I basically mash by the seat of my pants and just record the lulls. IMO, the exact numbers aren't super important anyway.

20@59
decoction 15@70, 15@boil
(however long it took to bring 1.5 gallons to a boil)@64
infuse 1.5 gallons to 30@69

RO water + 5g CaCl2 + .5g CaSO4 yielded pH 5.65

944play said:
There's a lot of ramp/stir/etc. time not reflected here. I basically mash by the seat of my pants and just record the lulls. IMO, the exact numbers aren't super important anyway.

20@59
decoction 15@70, 15@boil
(however long it took to bring 1.5 gallons to a boil)@64
infuse 1.5 gallons to 30@69

RO water + 5g CaCl2 + .5g CaSO4 yielded pH 5.65

One thing I need to check is my tap water. I have been using it (because I think it tastes fine) but I have no clue if it is good for all grain or not.

Back