Blending styles

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Has anyone tried combining two different recipes of different styles of beer into one batch. I was thinking of how whiskey is often blended to give it unique flavors and qualities, but I haven't heard of this ever being done with beer. I'm sure most of us enjoy the occasional black and tan, black and blue, snake bite, old dirty englishman, irish canadian, dirty bush, black tire, Irishman in Texas, or any number of other blended drinks involving beer, but have these drinks ever been created earlier in the process?
What about mashing and boiling half a batch of two complimentary styles of beer, then combining them during fermentation. Or perhaps you would ferment each batch separately with their own yeast then combine them during secondary fermentation, kegging, or bottling.
Has anyone ever experimented with this? Is it heresy to even consider such a process?

Not heresay by any means. I haven't done it personally, but I know others here have and even breweries. Off the top of my head I can think of two beers from Avery Brewery in Boulder that have been blended - their Black and Tan (which I think is only available in their tapping room) is their brown and stout together, and they did "Collaboration, not Litigation Ale" with Russian River (both had brews named Salvation, so they mixed them)

Actually...Blending beers is pretty common, both in fermenters and in the glass...In fact there's at least one brewpub in the country that specializes in beer blending.

Plus it is pretty common to blend beers in oak barrels or other fermenters. Especially if you have a batch that is "too something" and you want to mellow it out.

one of the last basic brewing podcasts of last years was on that very topic.

]December 4, 2008 - Beer Blending Experiment
Michael Tonsmeire, The Mad Fermentationist, leads James, Steve, and Andy through an exercise of blending beers together to create better ones.

Clicky- http://media.libsyn.com/media/basicbrewing/bbr12-04-08blending.mp3

A major commercial example that I can think of that is a result of blending is Newcastle, which makes two beers and blends them together prior to carbonating.

A major commercial example that I can think of that is a result of blending is Newcastle, which makes two beers and blends them together prior to carbonating.

And then isn't Guinness supposedly a blended beer? IIRC even the clone recipes in BYO's 150 clone brews issue had you spoil some beer and add it to the fermenter?

Has anyone heard of WeissBierPils? Someone mentioned it on a forum and I was intrigued by the sound of it, but I have no idea where to find it. Would that be an example of a blended beer-Hefe/Pils.

Latest posts

Back