California Steam question

Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum

Help Support Homebrew Talk - Beer, Wine, Mead, & Cider Brewing Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

KayaBrew

Reaction score
I'm brewing up a "Steam" in a couple of days or so, and I wanted some opinions. First, when using a lager yeast (Saflager S23) when brewing an ale, can I do my primary fermentation at 60-65 degrees (or cooler)? It seems like this would be okay. Second, should I add the aroma hops and boil for 5 minutes, or can I skip that step and dry hop in the secondary? Come to think of it, couldn't I just dry-hop all of my ales instead of boiling the aroma hops?

From my understanding you would use the lager yeast as an ale yeast (ale temps) for that type of brew. Also if I understand hopping correctly to get a good aroma out of the hops a 2-5 minute boil is very helpful. Dry hopping is more to add a hint of clean hops flavor/aroma that is light. Please someone correct me if I am wrong.

I've never used that yeast, but I used the California Common style liquid yeast, and it worked great at 62-65 degrees.

As far as hopping, I don't think that flavoring hops added in the boil really give the same results as dryhopping. Those late addition hops still boil a bit, and give up some flavor as well as aroma. Dryhopping really isn't a substitute. You can certainly dryhop the beer, but I wouldn't do it instead of adding the flavor/aroma hops.

I'm brewing up a "Steam" in a couple of days or so, and I wanted some opinions. First, when using a lager yeast (Saflager S23) when brewing an ale, can I do my primary fermentation at 60-65 degrees (or cooler)? It seems like this would be okay. Second, should I add the aroma hops and boil for 5 minutes, or can I skip that step and dry hop in the secondary? Come to think of it, couldn't I just dry-hop all of my ales instead of boiling the aroma hops?

A steam beer is made by using a lager yeast at ale temps, so that is fine.

Dry hopping and flavor/aroma additions give very different results when it comes to flavor, so I wouldn't suggest only dry hopping your beers.

Thanks to all for more great advice and opinions. I'll send you each a six pack of my Valley Road Brewery California Steam as soon as it's done!:mug:

According to Ray Daniels chapter on steam beer, when fermenting between 50-55 you should use a german lager strain, between 60-65 you should use a california lager, and 65-70 you should be using a california ale.

i've never used Saflager S23 for a steam beer, but i've read it can be good. i would keep it below 60°F if possible. 58-60°F is ideal for a steam anyway, IMO.

i generally use northern brewer (the anchor preference) for all hop additions, 60/20/5, all with big amounts. it has that nice woody flavor as appose to the grassy/citrusy flavor of american hops. It's also the only hop i use in my SMaSH American Pale Ale.

i brewed a dark steam beer on tuesday and used some german tradition, which also has that wonderful woody flavor/aroma:

5 lbs American 2-row
5 lbs American 6-row
6 oz American Chocolate malt
4 oz Carafa II
(mashed at 152°F)

0.75 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA pellet) @ 60 min
0.50 oz Northern Brewer (8.8%AA pellet) @ 20 min
1.00 oz German Tradition (5.3%AA pellet) @ 5 min

Wyeast 2112 - California Lager (fermenting at 58°F)

the sample tasted fantastic.

EDIT: This is the first time i've used 2112 in a steam beer. i've always used WLP810 San Francisco Lager before. i heard the 2112 is cleaner. the 810 definitely has some spicy fruity flavors when fermented in the low 60s. i had one go up to 70°F, and it was very drinkable but would have been much better with lower temps.

Hey Death, thanks for the info. I don't know why you have such a bad rep. I guess there is beer in Hell. Sounds like a fun place. I loved you in those Family Guy episodes!

i was young and needed the money.

and yeah, i prefer hell. they don't allow beer in heaven. polygomy is fine, tho. but in hell you get polygamy AND beer, so it all works out. enough beer will quench the heat from any fire :D

and yeah, i prefer hell. they don't allow beer in heaven.
-----------------------------------
au contrair mon amie,

John 2
7: Jesus saith unto them, Fill the waterpots with water. And they filled them up to the brim. 8: And he saith unto them, Draw out now, and bear unto the governor of the feast. And they bare it. 9: When the ruler of the feast had tasted the water that was made wine, and knew not whence it was: (but the servants which drew the water knew;) the governor of the feast called the bridegroom, 10: And saith unto him, Every man at the beginning doth set forth good wine; and when men have well drunk, then that which is worse: but thou hast kept the good wine until now. 11: This beginning of miracles did Jesus in Cana of Galilee, and manifested forth his glory; and his disciples believed on him."

Death is neutral! I got kicked out of hell once... I was selling ice water.

And wait, I get beer?
KayaBrew said:
Thanks to all for more great advice and opinions. I'll send you each a six pack of my Valley Road Brewery California Steam as soon as it's done!

Since South Park has proven the Mormon version of heaven is the correct one, it's punch and cookies unless you are willing to brave the fires of hell.

I'm using that yeast for my honey coriander (lager) steam.

heard some really good things about it. need to wait to brew that one after new year. freakishly warm here in SC, and going out of town for a week over christmas. I'll be fermenting in upper 50's. should produce a nice brew.

I think you'll do just fine, might want to think about putting carboy/bucket in a water bath (large cooler works for my bucket) and wrapping in a damp towel, a fan blowing on the damp towel really helps drop the temp (i've dropped temp almost 10° using this method during hot SC summer) keep end of towel in water will wick up through towel and evaporation does the rest!

i was young and needed the money.

and yeah, i prefer hell. they don't allow beer in heaven. polygomy is fine, tho. but in hell you get polygamy AND beer, so it all works out. enough beer will quench the heat from any fire :D

In Heaven there is no beer
(No beer?!)
That's why we drink it here
And when we're all gone from here
Our friends will be drinking all the beer.

In Heaven there is no wine
(No wine?!)
So we drink till we feel fine
And when we leave this all behind
Our friends will be drinking all the wine.

In Heaven there is no fear
(No fear)
So we worry too much here
And we drink ourselves full of beer
To help us when we deal with the fear.

In Heaven there are no drugs
That's why we hang with thugs
And when the Lord pulls the plug
All the thugs will still be selling drugs, yeah.

Thugs and drugs
Beer...

In Heaven there is no sex
(Oh no!)
So let's do that next
And when our muscles no longer flex
Someone else will be having sex.

In Heaven there are no wars
Or cars, or movie stars
And when we no longer are
The world will probably still be having wars.

What the heck! Yeah!

Sex and war,
Bars and cars.
Drugs, thugs,
And delicious food.

Back